PDA

View Full Version : My RLS 6i motor died

Johnic
03/05/2017, 11:47 AM
So my rls 6i motor has been on the fritz and finally stopped working. Skimmer was built in 2013. Is there a replacement motor for this that will fit ?
If not, what skimmer should I buy for my 75 mixed reef tank.

Big E
03/06/2017, 07:04 AM
If your RLS 6 is an 8" diameter reaction chamber.......... The Aquamaxx 3 sicce pump would work.....I believe that's the 3.0.

Six inch chamber use the 2.0.

I'm not sure how your chamber is set up......I know RLSS had that funky on end pump design. If so, you may have to retrofit something.

In that case, it may be easier to just buy an Amaxx 2 or 3. They aren't pricey and do as well as the higher priced skimmer types.

Pablos RSM 450
03/06/2017, 08:41 AM
So my rls 6i motor has been on the fritz and finally stopped working. Skimmer was built in 2013. Is there a replacement motor for this that will fit ?
If not, what skimmer should I buy for my 75 mixed reef tank.

My R6i had a Waveline DC 4000. You should be able to replace it with another waveline 4000 just swap the impeller over to the new pump. I have been communicating back and fourth with Daniel at RLSS and they are waiting for a large shipment of pumps and skimmers from China. It hasbeen difficult finding Skimmers and pumps since now Coral Vue is the distributor for RLSS.
Here is a link to the pump you need.
http://www.coralvue.com/waveline-dc4000hp-water-pump

$190

Before you buy try giving the impeller a good vinegar soaking as the ceramic shaft tends to stick to the ceramic bushing.

gcarroll
03/06/2017, 10:20 AM
You might want to contact Coralvue. If they are all set up on the distribution side, they might be able to help. Also contact Daniel at RLSS.

Big E
03/06/2017, 10:41 AM
Just me, but I bought an Amaxx because the RLSS pumps had failure issues on the first generation and obviously on the one that followed.

That's why I recommended a Sicce pump.

I wouldn't throw more money at a pump that isn't reliable.

Johnic
03/06/2017, 03:17 PM
Just me, but I bought an Amaxx because the RLSS pumps had failure issues on the first generation and obviously on the one that followed.

That's why I recommended a Sicce pump.

I wouldn't throw more money at a pump that isn't reliable.

The new db series looks interesting from RLSS. Any word on these ?

Pablos RSM 450
03/06/2017, 03:39 PM
The new db series looks interesting from RLSS. Any word on these ?

I have seen more negative reviews on the DB series than the R series. RLSS is working on new skimmers. They look like the R series but orange instead of white and the pump control is different. I think RLSS made a big mistake going with Coral Vue as their distributor. There has always been a shortage of RLSS skimmers causing customers to go with alternatives like Simplicity. By far the RLSS R6i has been the best I have ever owned (regret selling it) and it wasvery dissapointing going back and fourth with Daniel and being asked to wait for weeks before they get the shipment in from China. Their lack of supply has cost them so much money. I really dont see RLSS lasting much longer, just look at their website nothing is up to date. No information has been released letting people know of any new updates to their product line.

Johnic
03/06/2017, 04:57 PM
I have seen more negative reviews on the DB series than the R series. RLSS is working on new skimmers. They look like the R series but orange instead of white and the pump control is different. I think RLSS made a big mistake going with Coral Vue as their distributor. There has always been a shortage of RLSS skimmers causing customers to go with alternatives like Simplicity. By far the RLSS R6i has been the best I have ever owned (regret selling it) and it wasvery dissapointing going back and fourth with Daniel and being asked to wait for weeks before they get the shipment in from China. Their lack of supply has cost them so much money. I really dont see RLSS lasting much longer, just look at their website nothing is up to date. No information has been released letting people know of any new updates to their product line.

I know. There web site was always lacking info. But they make a great skimmer.
I had mine since 2013 and it ran great with no need to play around with any settings. Motor sucks though.