PDA

View Full Version : PH low

Ucantwin
03/07/2017, 03:30 PM
My ph stays around 7.6 -7.7. For the last several days I have left all doors and windows open in the home due to the weather being nice and my ph only goes up to 7.8. I have my apex ph probe calibrated so I believe it to be accurate. Even before having the windows and doors open, I have a hose from the skimmer to the outside and it doesn't really do anything, also dose kalk through my ATO with 4 teaspoons per 5 gallons. My DKH is 8.4 according to my hanna checker.

Any advise on how to raise the PH?

jda
03/07/2017, 03:34 PM
Don't. You are already doing everything that is practical. Reverse light cycle fuge can help but not as much as dripping kalk IMO.

It is more likely that you have a bad probe or calibration - these are hobby grade and not precision instruments. If you have aragonite sand and real live rock, it will buffer if you get too low and not likely every let you get to a real 7.6. You can do a lot of damage chasing PH and never see any results.

Seriously, just keep the alk steady and take the PH probe off of the tank, throw it away and never check it again. Everything will be fine.

ca1ore
03/07/2017, 03:41 PM
Completely agree. I've chased pH in the past and it's an exercise in futility. BTW, I never found running the skimmer line outside to make any difference at all - even though some folks swear by it. You could take some tank water and aerate it outside for a while and then measure. That will tell you whether you've got a CO2 issue or not.

Tripod1404
03/07/2017, 03:51 PM
You can connect a reactor containing CO2 absorbing media to the air intake of the skimmer. I used to have low pH during the winter months and that solved my problem. It will remove most of the CO2 in the water especially if your tank is covered and skimmer is the main aerating component.

Ucantwin
03/07/2017, 04:19 PM
I actually do use a reverse light for my chaeto. I do believe my ph is accurate because a salifert test is close to what the probe reads. I'm not really going to chase a ph number but wanted to bump it some.

I don't know if aerating the water out side would do much since every window and both back and front doors are open, so I image it's close to being out side.

Just seems weird to me that I don't even get to 8.0 with everything I do.

mcgyvr
03/07/2017, 04:45 PM
Thats why I don't buy/use PH probes or PH test kits.. Ignorance is bliss.. ;)

jda
03/07/2017, 04:54 PM
That will tell you whether you've got a CO2 issue or not.

...or a probe/calibration issue.