PDA

View Full Version : Anodized or Powder Coated Aluminum Stand?

platy
03/08/2017, 07:53 AM
Curious if anyone has an opinion on which coating would be more durable or better suited for an Aluminum T-Slot Stand, black anodized or black powder coated? Any aesthetic considerations?

Thanks.

mcgyvr
03/08/2017, 10:39 AM
Well.. powder coat can chip off.. Anodizing won't..
Both can be scratched to expose base metal..
Anodizing colors may differ slightly from batch to batch.

Anodizing can develop a "chalk" look overtime but regular cleaning can easily remove that..

If you like the look of anodizing I would say its more durable..
If you are more concerned with aesthetics then powder "may" be more your style..

But with extrusions there is little to no visible grain so the anodizing is very nice looking too..

sirclintler
03/08/2017, 11:08 AM
I don't think you can pc aluminum, anodizing is nice and clean and it actually penitrates the metal.

mcgyvr
03/08/2017, 11:10 AM
I don't think you can pc aluminum, anodizing is nice and clean and it actually penitrates the metal.

yes you can powdercoat aluminum..

platy
03/08/2017, 07:32 PM
Going to go with Anodized. I do like the look.

Thanks everyone for your thoughts.

Gorgok
03/08/2017, 08:04 PM
Aren't those extruded things already clear anodized?

mcgyvr
03/09/2017, 06:14 AM
Aren't those extruded things already clear anodized?

Clear anodized is basically the "normal" finish on most of them.. Some suppliers also offer an alternative black anodize or black PC and even other colors too..

Reef_Pilot
03/11/2017, 01:57 AM
You could always anodize, then power coat for extra protection. They aren't mutually exclusive, and that is exactly how my motorcycle wheels came from the factory.

michaelrc51
03/11/2017, 09:03 AM
yes you can powdercoat aluminum..

You can but it doesn't adhere as well as it does to steel.

I love anodizing, it looks great. But, its pretty easy to scratch it up. Also, it's kind of pricey to be done and colors will differ batch to batch.