PDA

View Full Version : Removing a possible copper contamination?

Josh40996
03/08/2017, 11:03 AM
Hey guys,

a couple weeks ago one of my heaters exploded in my reef tank and I found it still switched on releasing a cloud of black. The heater brand is Hidom, I suggest everyone to stay away from these.

Since the exploded heater my tank hasn't been doing too well, all my SPS took a big hit and only have 2 left that are currently on deaths door. The zoas and LPS also took a hit but seem to be recovering. All of my parameters have remained stable: 9alk, 420cal, pH 8.0, 0 nitrate and 0 phosphate.

Since the heater exploded the pod population has also exploded which seems strange to me.

I am stumped as to what the problem is, I have been using big bags of carbon since the explosion to soak up any contaminants. I decided to have another look at the heater and it seems to have some copper inside and it has some blue staining to the cotton that was inside it, which leads me to believe I might be dealing with a copper contamination? I do not know how long the heater was in the aquarium after exploding, but could not have been for more than a couple of hours.

Anyway, I was wondering if anyone has any ideas what I could be dealing with, and what I can do in the meantime to prevent anymore deaths? If I am dealing with copper, what can I do to remove it?

mcgyvr
03/08/2017, 11:23 AM
poly filter
http://www.drsfostersmith.com/product/prod_display.cfm?pcatid=10421&cmpid=11cseYY&ref=6195&subref=AA&cmpid=PLA_G_6195&gclid=Cj0KEQiA9P7FBRCtoO33_LGUtPQBEiQAU_tBgC4_r9CTkUor22N_cgrWRPbO8a7Rj0WcW5ntjX0t5fwaAhZa8P8HAQ

bertoni
03/08/2017, 04:56 PM
You could try CupraSorb, as well.

mcgyvr
03/08/2017, 05:10 PM
You could try CupraSorb, as well.

Thats the other one.. couldn't remember the name.

Tripod1404
03/08/2017, 05:52 PM
You can use a copper test kit to see if there is copper in your water. Btw an heater can release things far more nastier that copper, such as lead or even mercury.

The black cloud you saw was probably plastic part of the heater being fried by the resistance wire. That can also generate some toxic organic compounds (such as acrylamide). Carbon would be your best option. But beware of any absorbent that uses organic polymers (such as purigen) for absorption. Those types of absorbents can generate toxic side products when coming into contact with certain compounds. Since you do not clearly know what you are dealing, it is best to stick with good old carbon.

bertoni
03/08/2017, 06:14 PM
Some carbon is a good idea, too. It will adsorb metals that have bound to organics.

Josh40996
03/09/2017, 01:11 PM
Thanks for the suggestion guys, I've purchased a polyfilter and put it in. I guess that'll also act as a test. I've just replaced the carbon to. I lost another SPS last night, only 1 left.

bertoni
03/09/2017, 05:08 PM
Well, I'm sorry to hear about your losses. :( Hopefully, the remaining coral will survive.