PDA

View Full Version : How to remove Hair Algae from Toadstool?

C5Chad
03/08/2017, 11:32 AM
Hey guys I have a leather toadstool coral that is in my old 29 gallon and I'd like to move it to my new 75 gallon tank that I just moved my clownfish to. He was used to hovering around that toadstool and I want to put it in to make him more at ease in new tank. Problem is my 29 gallon had it bad with green hair algae. It's even taken over the frag rock the toadstool is on and grown on the trunk of the toadstool itself.

What would be the best and safest way to remove all of the hair algae from the toadstool so I can transfer it to my 75 gallon? My new 75 gallon is so clean and looks so good I don't want to go and put hair algae into that tank when it has none currently.

Any help, tips, recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks guys!

ZachsZoo
03/09/2017, 08:05 PM
Try getting a lawnmower blenny, they do an amazing job at removing hair algae and keeping it removed. they will also take it off coral as well.

mpderksen
03/09/2017, 08:46 PM
Every tank has GHA. Sorry, but yeah, you won't avoid it forever. Nutrient export is the key. Don't worry about adding a little, if the conditions don't allow it to grow, it won't. If they do, it will. Period.
Don't obsess about every potential pest. Create an ecosystem that doesn't reward the stuff you don't want.

FoxFace Fish
03/10/2017, 08:46 AM
Crabs!!!!!!!!!

crawlerman
03/10/2017, 09:02 AM
Turbo snails are great at getting hair algae, but they are also great at knocking things over. Even knock over acro frags that I have epoxied to the rock.

mcgyvr
03/10/2017, 09:04 AM
don't worry about adding a little, if the conditions don't allow it to grow, it won't. If they do, it will. Period.
Don't obsess about every potential pest. Create an ecosystem that doesn't reward the stuff you don't want.

+1

Plainswalker
03/10/2017, 11:40 AM
Worse comes to worst, you can slice the toadstool off the rock (removing the GHA) and attach it with rubber bands to a new rock in the new aquarium. Toadstools are amazingly resilient and will readily reattach to substrate given half a chance.

I annually prune my own toadstool to a tiny nub as it gets really massive and unmanageable. It always grows to the size of my hand within a year.

soulpatch
03/10/2017, 12:54 PM
I dip all corals when moving or buying new in a 50/50 peroxide/sw dip. It nukes the algae on the coral or rock...

AlSimmons
03/11/2017, 11:47 AM
Hey guys I have a leather toadstool coral that is in my old 29 gallon and I'd like to move it to my new 75 gallon tank that I just moved my clownfish to. He was used to hovering around that toadstool and I want to put it in to make him more at ease in new tank. Problem is my 29 gallon had it bad with green hair algae. It's even taken over the frag rock the toadstool is on and grown on the trunk of the toadstool itself.

What would be the best and safest way to remove all of the hair algae from the toadstool so I can transfer it to my 75 gallon? My new 75 gallon is so clean and looks so good I don't want to go and put hair algae into that tank when it has none currently.

Any help, tips, recommendations will be greatly appreciated!!!! Thanks guys!

Dipping the coral in some Hydrogen Peroxide might help. Using a stiff brush is another option.