PDA

View Full Version : ATO: Avast or Apex FMM w/ Optical Sensor

africangrey
03/08/2017, 11:57 AM
Help me decide, can't make decision on which of these.
Heard a lot of great thing about Avast ATO, and was going to get that until the release of the Apex FMM with optical sensor. Since I have Apex controller, the FMM would be a no brainer except it doesn't come in with redundancy unlike the Avast which has both pressure switch and float valve. Apex can be programmed makes more attractive, but doesn't come cheap.

mcgyvr
03/08/2017, 12:14 PM
Since you have the Apex already then Apex FMM optical + mechanical float valve if you want.. Still less than half the cost of the avast unit to have the same functionality/redundancy..

allicassydanny
03/10/2017, 05:46 AM
Avast, their pressure sensor is second to none. Much better then optical.

2000se
03/10/2017, 08:45 AM
I agree w/ mcgyver. I actually have the Avast ATO + float valve + diaphragm pump and it has never let me down. Once dialed in. it just works.

But if you can integrate the float valve into your apex, might as well just do that. Seems more clean

ca1ore
03/10/2017, 09:47 AM
Easy enough to add a reed float to apex for redundancy.

tmnigat
03/10/2017, 10:09 AM
I think you'd be fine with either. What I was thinking of doing with my setup is purchasing a FMM, using the 4th port for a leak detection sensor, and using an IO port for the avast ato.

Johnseye
03/10/2017, 10:45 AM
I have an Avast and have used Spectrapure in the past. The pressure switch is very reliable. I did have some problems with my pump in the beginning, but they replaced some parts and it's been ok since. If I were to do it again I'd get the Apex. I like the integration and notifications the Apex can provide.

tmnigat
03/10/2017, 11:08 AM
I have an Avast and have used Spectrapure in the past. The pressure switch is very reliable. I did have some problems with my pump in the beginning, but they replaced some parts and it's been ok since. If I were to do it again I'd get the Apex. I like the integration and notifications the Apex can provide.

Do you have the digital output for apex on your avast ato? I think all the integration with apex is available on the avast ato, the same as it would be with the fmm optical module and BoB float switch.

FLSharkvictim
03/10/2017, 11:20 AM
I prefer the TUNZE Osmolator 3155 Auto Top Off, BEEN in the hobby for over 25 years and since they have been out on the market I have NEVER see one fail on any of my clients systems.

TANK INFO:
120 display
Ecotech M1 pump
Apex Classic
Apex ALD Module w/ 2 Leak Detector probes
Apex PM2 Module w/ 2nd Temp Probe & Salinity probe
BreakOut box
Multipurpose Neptune Systems Pmup
Skimz 163 DC Montzer Series skimmer
Custom sump / Refuge
2 TUNZE Turbella 6055 Pumps
2 AI Hydra TwentySix HD LED Fixtures
Celestial C35W Maxspect Refuge Spotlight
Aqua UV Ultraviolet Sterilizer 25w
BRS Dual Media reactor
Eshoops IV Master & Slave Doser
Tunze 3155 Auto Top Off
Avast Kalk Strir -k10 model
BRS Top Off Doser peristaltic pump - 50ML/PER/M

[/SIZE]

africangrey
03/10/2017, 11:36 AM
[QUOTE=FLSharkvictim;24997058]I prefer the TUNZE Osmolator 3155 Auto Top Off, BEEN in the hobby for over 25 years and since they have been out on the market I have NEVER see one fail on any of my clients systems.

The only negative thing I heard is that the Tunze pump is loud and will fail overtime.

africangrey
03/10/2017, 11:43 AM
For the avast ATO if I opt for the Apex digital output, do I need to purchase an additional breakout box or can I just plug it directly to the base unit.
Can anyone share their programming for the APEX with Avast integration. I think I will go for the Avast instead of the FMM with optical sensors which needs to be cleaned.

scuzy
03/10/2017, 12:09 PM
If you want floats you'll need the break out box but that's not that expensive. For ato having redundancy is important.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
03/10/2017, 02:12 PM
For the avast ATO if I opt for the Apex digital output, do I need to purchase an additional breakout box or can I just plug it directly to the base unit.
Can anyone share their programming for the APEX with Avast integration. I think I will go for the Avast instead of the FMM with optical sensors which needs to be cleaned.

The avast unit can be ordered with a plug that goes right into the IO port. But then you are limited to just the single switch. If you are going to want additional switches then you need a breakout box (either bought or DIY) and the bare wire avast ATO.

Programming is no different than with any others switch - other than the avast pressure switch is normally closed.

Fallback OFF
Set OFF
If Sw1 is Closed Then ON

Johnseye
03/10/2017, 08:14 PM
Do you have the digital output for apex on your avast ato? I think all the integration with apex is available on the avast ato, the same as it would be with the fmm optical module and BoB float switch.
Yes, digital output but it's not quiet the same as a fully integrated Apex device. I haven't tried the new sensors but everything else Apex I use integrates very well.

2000se
03/11/2017, 09:22 AM
[QUOTE=FLSharkvictim;24997058]I prefer the TUNZE Osmolator 3155 Auto Top Off, BEEN in the hobby for over 25 years and since they have been out on the market I have NEVER see one fail on any of my clients systems.

The only negative thing I heard is that the Tunze pump is loud and will fail overtime.

Have you ever heard the avast diaphragm pump? Talk about loud. But I like it. I can certainly tell when it is and isn't running. Another failsafe imo

air2mag
03/22/2017, 07:55 AM
I have the Avast hooked up to my APEX and it works great. I got the bare wire pressure switch and hooked it up to the break out box on the Apex. The diaphragm pump is loud, but mine only runs a couple of times a day. I do like the Avast pressure switches. Nothing to bump out of alignment and no place for snails to gather.

africangrey
03/22/2017, 09:19 AM
Thanks guys for the informative discussion I got my Avast last Friday and hooked it up to my Apex just like everyone did, copied and pasted the codes and it has been working flawlessly.
I love the $17 aqualifter pump which is super quiet, the flow rate might be slow but I don't need something that moves water like power head.

aplatn13
03/22/2017, 12:58 PM
AVAST hands down!!!

air2mag
03/24/2017, 08:56 AM
Their ATO worked so good, I have ordered the Davey Jones skim mate locker. Not sure how I will fit it in the stand yet, but one I have the unit I'll figure it out.

aplatn13
03/24/2017, 09:24 AM
Skim mate locker works great! I have that as well and vibe reactor