PDA

View Full Version : Insanity Check - Dream Tank

PalaciosAn
03/09/2017, 03:14 PM
OK, so my wife and I are building a home, I am getting the opportunity to set everything thing up the way I want it so that hopefully it makes my life easier and gives me the opportunity to go big.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/9KiPZl5HD_ddaWTktFF58Sapw2Znn-9K8qrKd2YaBMBL1lXjJK1mAievTLwyhiPt0JQdWALR8MywQUSXq8Jq87fyfgGIQXQAXQrAwc0nvSOpPW0UYzkA86Ap6ZZEU9prA1 SYyhxhgMY6EzMzcFzv7mEdqGFvl84XAoAq1RrvxQ_DbLvE-6OgIVWLYufB6Y2ZIswKweAeOyinIctpa-p0k0osVyTefGtWgjPmBoMFwbWaabjMSKKv-8eWYMnBVaQIO7uLQTXCjlKWNC7PZeUeMObTsDtxp7SrKgJhfrZbQBgCsy7JuhtFaH91OLCkm_eeQMkr1FNAozpx8hI2B6ymIPLZi TffoC2Z1QjF4v10LRo6KNPCV8rcS9J0q20Qqb4sH-c_XuA0eDzph-CdAweJUP2_vz4hfysTuL5oXLxDUSU_mLhoJwWg-BcH6CXrUFt6FTMy0Co315B9lyOropQBGtaE8eU8xyVsCaP6IvFdBxs5kB5XhLLy9UXF2kBB7Q9iH5D6FU0Mq9xcYOYGnN1ePySOZ H4U8VHD7ybUFWogQ0dRq-axzKY4qZ_H2s6nqXt-xRqzVUd6vzkczRpbLnlTX6iTIcmjzE29cYTVwEJ_iVeaMOzqTcFYs3dxvBhuRF53yZMS68A3GN3ahBQZbgh8T5UG_dWUuv7FBwCA ja1m8lw=w381-h488-no

So what I am thinking of doing is a peninsula tank so that will act as a divider between the family room and the hall that leads to the other bedrooms.

As of right now the largest tank I could setup here would be 12' 4-1/2" long, what I was thinking was a 12' long tank by 2' 6" wide (I know the image says 2' but I decided it needed to be 2' 6") by 2' 6" tall. That would be about a 500-gallon tank.

I would have a small room to place all of the equipment into and I would also have the area underneath the tank for storage. The equipment room at its longest side is 7' 4" by 3' 6" and would have a drain and water ran to it. I am also placing a drain under the tank in case of disaster.

One concern obviously would be the cost for such a large tank, I am going to start getting quotes, I am assuming I will have to go acrylic which I have always had a glass tank. I thought about possibly building the tank (I have never built a tank so I would most likely build a QT tank, frag tank, refugium tank, then a sump and then if I decide I feel comfortable enough building such a large tank then I will consider it) with that said most sites claim the acrylic would need to be anywhere from 1" thick to 1-1/4" thick. At this thickness, I did not see any sheets larger than 10'.

Anyone out there with a large peninsula tank? Would love to see pics and any words of advice.

jimmy n
03/09/2017, 03:17 PM
Looks amazing. I'd avoid acrylic if possible.

PalaciosAn
03/09/2017, 03:21 PM
@jimmy n I plan to try to avoid acrylic and when I get quotes for the tank I will get quotes for both glass and acrylic, In the end, I may just save up until I can get it in glass but I will see.

For sure I have to get something in there rather quickly before my wife makes use of the space and forgets a aquarium is supposed to go in there :)

ca1ore
03/09/2017, 06:01 PM
Don't have the handy calculator handy .... but the dimensions sound like way more than 500 gallons.

ca1ore
03/09/2017, 06:02 PM
Never mind, 560

MarkW64
03/09/2017, 09:59 PM
Looks awesome. My one piece of advice would be to consider going even a little bit wider -- 3 feet wide would be great, even if that means you need to reduce the length some. I love peninsulas, but narrow can be a challenge for aquascaping. My peninsula is only two feet wide. If I were starting over from scratch I would absolutely go at least 30 wide, preferably 36. IMO your 30 inch height is perfect.

karimwassef
03/09/2017, 10:02 PM
do wider... 4'!!!

slief
03/09/2017, 10:23 PM
Looks awesome. My one piece of advice would be to consider going even a little bit wider -- 3 feet wide would be great, even if that means you need to reduce the length some. I love peninsulas, but narrow can be a challenge for aquascaping. My peninsula is only two feet wide. If I were starting over from scratch I would absolutely go at least 30 wide, preferably 36. IMO your 30 inch height is perfect.

+1! 30" wide for a peninsula is pretty narrow IMO. I run a 4'x8' peninsula and the 4' is about perfect. 36" would work though. You definiately want the extra space so you can setup your rocks with plenty of room on either side.

As for not going acrylic.. Hogwash!! Anybody that say to not go acrylic should come over and see my tank! I had it custom made about 24 years ago and it's still in great shape! You will not find a glass tank of the same size that is as old as mine and still be in anywhere near as good of conditions. One thing about acrylic is that scratches can be easily removed even in a fully stocked tank. Another thing about acrylic is you don't need to worry about silicone seams. The key with acrylic is not cutting corners on material quality or thickness. My tank is 4'x8'x24" tall. The front and back are 1.5" material with 1" sides. There is absolutely no deflection and no crazing and the seams are 100% perfect and this is after 24 years of being constantly full. No way in hell I would go with a glass tank that size. I keep my tanks too long! :thumbsup:

Edit.. I forget to add. For coraline removal.. I use a regular metal blade scraper meant for glass. It works great and doesn't scratch if the blade is kept straight and burr free. I use 600 grit sandpaper to keep the edge crisp and smooth. Coraline comes off like butter.

karimwassef
03/09/2017, 10:25 PM
blasphemy!! Acrylic is the devil!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

slief
03/09/2017, 10:30 PM
blasphemy!! Acrylic is the devil!

Sorry - couldn't resist.

:lolspin:

Gorgok
03/09/2017, 10:51 PM
I'd consider a little less height (compensate with extra width!). 30" would put me pits deep in water to just tickle the bottom. Something like 26 or 24" would be my choice.

karimwassef
03/09/2017, 11:21 PM
agree with Gorgok. I have 27" now and so many corals languish and die because of poor access.

My next tank is an 18" deep peninsula... but then again, it's 8' wide... so I can't possibly go deeper...

Zalick
03/09/2017, 11:49 PM
Lucky guy!!

I agree with wider. I have a 3' x 6' penninsula and I wish it wider. It divides my living room and dining room.

Is your sump going In the equipment room??

What is your plan for a water station?

VGT
03/10/2017, 06:34 AM
Would consider a closed loop system running underneath the tank. Beautiful peninsula like that will look stupid with powerheads or MPs around.