PDA

View Full Version : NSW Cloudy.....PVC Cement Contamination?

Spyderturbo007
03/10/2017, 04:47 PM
I just finished my mixing station build and my first batch of IO is cloudy. I'm wondering why since I've never had this happen before but I've never mixed salt this way.

I waited about 24 hours for the PVC Cement to fully cure before mixing.

It was mixed differently than before so I'm hoping that's the issue and not that it's contaminated. Here is how it was mixed.

1. I transferred 30g from my brute can into the new mix tank. The NSW was heated and clear.

2. I added 30g of RODI (not heated).

3. Added salt and mixed for 24 hours.

I'm hoping that it's just from crashing out calcium or alkalinity and not contamination from the PVC Cement.

scuzy
03/10/2017, 04:56 PM
I always have cloudy water with io/rc salt so I doubt it's contamination.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

bertoni
03/10/2017, 05:43 PM
What did you mean by NSW? What PVC cement product did you use? I suspect everything's fine, but I wanted to double-check everything.

I agree that cloudy water is at least somewhat common.

Spyderturbo007
03/11/2017, 05:58 PM
Sorry. I meant New Seawater when I wrote NSW. Just a standard mix of Instant Ocean. It's how I have it labeled in my Apex program for the DOS.

I used the Oatley Medium Clear cement and the Oatley Low VOC Clear cleaner.

foxrazr
03/11/2017, 06:10 PM
IO always mixes cloudy with me and leaves a powdery mess inside the brute can and mixing pump. I recently changed to Tropic Marin and mixes clear but it's more $$$.

bertoni
03/11/2017, 07:37 PM
Those epoxy products are fine to use, in my experience. I am not sure why the IO suddenly changed behavior, but I doubt that the epoxy is causing any real problem. I used it for my tanks.

Bagabaga
03/12/2017, 12:32 PM
If I can glue a pvc return and dry it for 40 minutes and install it on my established reef tank without issue then your are good in a 24 hour cure. My install was to replace soft lines on my tank so needed to go back on asap.

Even my Kent reef salt mixes cloudy for a few hours before use.

Spyderturbo007
03/13/2017, 06:16 AM
Thanks everyone. I was pretty sure some calcium or alkalinity crashed out of solution, but I wanted to be sure since I've never done hard piping on my tank before.

jayball
03/15/2017, 12:22 PM
Sorry. I meant New Seawater when I wrote NSW. Just a standard mix of Instant Ocean. It's how I have it labeled in my Apex program for the DOS.

I used the Oatley Medium Clear cement and the Oatley Low VOC Clear cleaner.

FYI, usually when people use NSW here they mean Natural Sea Water.

X2 to the many above. 24 hour cure and you should be fine, I will guess percipitation.