PDA

View Full Version : Garage sumps, where is your chiller?

Livinlocal619
03/10/2017, 08:13 PM
So I am going to be getting a new chiller for my system, but with the way it is set up now, my sump is inside of my garage. I would like to put the chiller inside of the garage, but I am afraid that it is going to make it way too hot in there, besides the garage already gets really hot which is why I have to get a chiller in the first place. The display inside my house stays at a nice temperature, but my garage gets hot during the day. My tank has not been overheating, but it has raised a degree, and it isn't even summer yet. So my main question is, do you guys just put the chiller in the garage and let it work out the extra heat? I have 300 gallons of water volume in my system

jaxspsreef
03/10/2017, 10:35 PM
My setup is very similar to yours. I live in Florida.
The chiller is in the garage. The garage temperature gets super hot in the summer, but between the inside AC and chiller my display remains under 80 degrees. I also struggled with this decision. I am happy I decided to put it out there.

jda
03/11/2017, 04:52 PM
If your garage is not insulated, this can help as much as a chiller. So can an air exchanger to pull the cool air in in the early AM. If you have done all of this already, then put the chiller outside and run the lines through the wall - you can put it in a little plastic shed if it is not weatherproof.

cham
03/12/2017, 06:59 AM
I have a garage sump and 40g frag tank, live in Orlando FL but don't use a chiller. I prefer Azoo fans on a controller blowing over display. Been set up that way for almost 10 years, with both MH and T5 lights and have never had temp issues

HmoneyReefOkc
05/12/2017, 10:43 PM
Azoo fans?

DarkSkyForever
05/15/2017, 09:03 AM
Can you put a vent fan in your garage and exhaust the hot air outside? My JBJ chiller says it can work in temps up to 95F. If you can keep your garage air circulating it might be cool enough to work.