PDA

View Full Version : Flatworm eradication-success so far

nathanw81
03/12/2017, 08:10 PM
So after 12 years of being out of the hobby, I got back into now that the wife and I got a larger house. 12 years ago it was nothing for me to forego the dip of corals and never had issues with flatworms. Fast forward to present day: wow a lot has changed regarding equipment, methods and pervasive parasites.

I picked up a couple pieces of live rock from a small shop in Kent, OH and happily placed them in my tank only to realize weeks later, I'd introduced the dreaded flatworms into my new tank. Thinking manual removal would suffice was a foolish attempt so I looked to flatworm eXit.

I pulled the rock without coral attached into tubs of freshwater and flatworm exit allowing them to soak for about an hour while I dipped all corals and placed them within a new frag tank I'd acquired. Then I began treatment of the entire tank and wow does that stuff work fast. Within minutes the few remaining flatworms were floating around the water column. Following another hour with no signs of stress on fish in the tank (spotted bristlenose, six line wrasses, lawnmower blenny, royal gramma, two clowns, one anthias and a spotted goby), I then began the carbon treatment with a carbon loaded FX6 canister.

I awoke the next morning to find that the anthias has been MIA. Not sure if it jumped out of the open top and one of my pets ate it but I've not seen a spike in nitrate or ammonia. I am hopeful that the anthias is just in hiding.

So far so good though regarding the flatworms. I haven't seen any since I treated Friday evening. I'll keep an eye out being optimistic that the problem is resolved.

Lesson learned: by dry live rock and wait the extra time to ensure that I don't need the headache or risk to livestock.

cwschoon
04/11/2017, 10:41 AM
I was away for a week and came back to this...still a believer in the product you used?

CrayolaViolence
04/11/2017, 11:20 AM
Best flatworm remover you can buy is a melanarus wrasse (females work best in my experience) or even a yellow coris wrasse.

cwschoon
04/11/2017, 11:23 AM
Thanks for the reply. I have a young pink margin wrasse. Should they get along?

billdogg
04/11/2017, 03:05 PM
Best flatworm remover you can buy is a melanarus wrasse (females work best in my experience) or even a yellow coris wrasse.

I love my pair of Bue Star Leopard Wrasses. FWE took out some of the FW's, but even after a second dose at double strength they were too numerous to count. The addition of the Leopard wrasses wiped them out within a few days. As an added bonus they are some of the best looking fish I have ever had.

cwschoon
04/11/2017, 03:58 PM
I could not find a melanarus but I did get a yellow coris and I also got an arrow crab. I'll try and be patient before going the route of flatworm eXit or PraziPro.
If the wrasse eats flatworms, do you think it will pick them off leathers and mushrooms, or just what's on the substrate?

jda
04/11/2017, 04:04 PM
They will never get them all with fish. The flatworms can always hide. You might not be able to see any, but as soon as you lose the fish or the get a different appetite, the worms will be everywhere again. The med in Flatworm exit is quite safe and effective - the toxin that the flatworms release when they are dying is not so safe.

If you decide to treat, I would do it every week for three or four weeks - there is always one or two that can hide out and make it. The second treatment, and beyond, are quite easy since there are not enough flatworms left to have enough toxins to be dangerous.

Levamisole is a livestock dewormer that is the same thing that is in Flatworm exit. You can do thousands of gallon with a packet of levamisole - 1 tsp to 500ml of water... and .5 to 1 ml per gallon (go low at first).

dutch27
04/11/2017, 04:51 PM
I've used exit several times with different tanks, it's always worked, although sometimes it needs a second dosing. Just be ready for the initial water change and carbon, and it's pretty effective.

johnike
04/12/2017, 04:48 AM
I love my pair of Bue Star Leopard Wrasses. FWE took out some of the FW's, but even after a second dose at double strength they were too numerous to count. The addition of the Leopard wrasses wiped them out within a few days. As an added bonus they are some of the best looking fish I have ever had.

Yep.
:wave:

The Levamisole works as well, but get a pair of Leopards!
My Potters pair eradicated a horrible infestation in my 93 cube in days.
Thanks again Bill!

cwschoon
04/12/2017, 06:35 AM
In my panic mode, I got what I could: a yellow coris and an arrow crab.