PDA

View Full Version : Buying existing tank - live rock but use dry sand?

f3honda4me
03/12/2017, 09:34 PM
The quick and dirty is that I'm buying an existing setup with long established live rock. There is a small amount of sand but mostly bare bottom. I want to add sand to make a 1-2" bed. Can I use dry sand? I need to minimize cycle if any cycle at all so that I can get the livestock into the tank and out of the smaller holding tank. I expect very little die off because of how short of time the rock will be out of water. But the existing sand will likely not be reused.

Keelo
03/12/2017, 09:42 PM
Yea you can just rinse it well as long as you maintain most of the live rock submerged and use most of the old tank water you shouldn't experience any setbacks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gabloo
03/13/2017, 12:17 PM
A lot of bacterial are inside the live rock so I don't think there should be problem. However, you could add small amount of sand at a time if you are worry.

LJLKRL
03/13/2017, 03:18 PM
The old tank water is of no benefit, so just mix new water. All the bacteria you need are in the rock and sand.

f3honda4me
03/13/2017, 03:23 PM
The old tank water is of no benefit, so just mix new water. All the bacteria you need are in the rock and sand.

The existing sand is just a thin layer so I'll be adding dry sand to it once I transfer the tank. But the rock is 5-6 years old so it should have plenty of the necessary bacteria. And yes, no point in using the old water, there isn't anything in it of use.