PDA

View Full Version : Crab Identification - safe or not?

choss
03/13/2017, 05:49 PM
All,

I recently rescued a bunch of fish and inverts from a local neighbor. I walked in and they handed me a container with two healthy clown fish, a fire fish, a blood red cleaner shrimp, a bunch of hermits, snails, and one mystery crab. Here is a video of the little guy. I was hoping someone can ID him and let me know if he is reef safe or a threat to the fish. Right now he's in my QT with all the other rescued fish and inverts and, while I have no intention of putting him in my reef tank, I'm still curious as to his species. Also, if anyone living in Westchester NY wants to adopt him, please feel free to send me a PM.

<iframe width="854" height="480" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/TqQKOUVZAP4" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

Bobbitworm13
03/13/2017, 06:23 PM
It looks like a predatory swimming crab. I would not put it in a reef

choss
03/13/2017, 06:31 PM
I forgot to mention that he also has "fans" as his rear appendages (last two legs).

choss
03/13/2017, 06:33 PM
It looks like a predatory swimming crab. I would not put it in a reef

Yeah there is no way I was considering him for the main tank but I want to make sure he won't harm the fish in QT. I wish I had a nice refugium to put him in.

choss
03/21/2017, 10:12 PM
So i released the little guy into the Long Island sound. Hopefully he's back in his natural habitat now. Thanks again for the ID.

Spyderturbo007
03/22/2017, 08:20 AM
So i released the little guy into the Long Island sound. Hopefully he's back in his natural habitat now. Thanks again for the ID.

:eek:

Or you've introduced an invasive species to an environment where it was not native.

mcgyvr
03/22/2017, 08:31 AM
:eek:

Or you've introduced an invasive species to an environment where it was not native.

I was waiting for that comment..
Did someone say Lionfish in Florida?
Algae species in California?

oops... Better to flush it down the toilet..

sde1500
03/22/2017, 09:06 AM

Dude, never do that....

LX20000
03/22/2017, 09:48 AM
The crab was in the tank with all the fish already, at the original guys place, and you are wondering if he will eat the fish??

Rich1Reef
03/22/2017, 01:27 PM
That looks like a baby blue crab. Not saying it is but it sure looks like one.

RAMABAMA
03/22/2017, 04:26 PM
That looks like a baby blue crab. Not saying it is but it sure looks like one.

We call that redfish crack down here in Florida. Put that bad boy on a hook and hold on tight.