PDA

View Full Version : What is this?

cafinator
03/13/2017, 07:27 PM
What is this yellow stuff growing on top of my rock? is it bad or good? should i do somthing to get rid of it or let it run its course?

Sirhc
03/13/2017, 07:28 PM
Do you have pictures? It is kind of hard to ID without a picture.

cafinator
03/13/2017, 07:33 PM
for some reason the upload keeps failing.

cafinator
03/13/2017, 07:43 PM
this isnt mine because none of my pictures would upload for some reason? but this looks very similar to what is happeneing to mine..its only happening on the top of the rocks

cafinator
03/13/2017, 07:47 PM
There now it worked...these are my rocks

BJ Kot
03/13/2017, 07:58 PM
Hard to tell from the pictures but it looks like a diatom bloom. Is this in a new aquarium?

cafinator
03/13/2017, 08:59 PM
yes it is..how do i get rid of it?

BJ Kot
03/13/2017, 09:36 PM
This is very common with a new tank. It happens because the curing of the live rock introduces silicates and nutrients. Just as with anything regular water changes are important. Make sure you stay on top of that and siphon this out at the same time.

Here are some questions to answer that might help.

How often are you doing changes and how much water?
What timing are your lights set on?
How often are you feeding?

A couple of things to consider. Get some snails, trochus work well. They do a good job with this type of bloom. Also you can consider reducing the time your lights are on.

Biggest thing with any type of algae is the buildup of nutrients and light. Make sure your protein skimmer is adequate and skimming properly to remove this excess. If you are performing regular water changes with good RO/DI water, lighting is set to a good schedule, and you are skimming properly, then I would consider getting some snails.

As I mentioned, this is a very common thing in a new tank. I know it is a PITA and doesn't look good but it is common. Look into the things I mentioned and other than that it is time. Any type of bloom takes time to get rid of. Its not something that can be fixed overnight even with chemical treatments.

I know that's a lot of info all at once but I hope it helps. I remember having the same question when I set up my first tank so I know how it goes. Best of Luck!!

cafinator
03/14/2017, 05:55 PM
My protein skimmer is rated for 80 gal..my tank is only 49. My lights are normal aquarium flourescent tubes. Will that cause the already? I've been doing small 5 gal waterchanges every other day because of the yellow.and I like 12 hours and 12 hours off..I have nassarius snails but they don't move...like at all and when they do they get on glass rather than dig in sand?

MuShu
03/14/2017, 05:59 PM
What kind of aquarium tubes? Freshwater or marine lights? 12 hours is probably too much light if there is no ramp up and ramp down of the light.

monkeysee1
03/14/2017, 06:00 PM
+1 for the snails!
Also, get some GFO!
If you can't get a reactor right away, then put some in a mesh bag and place it in your filter sock.
That should take care of the problem for you.

cafinator
03/14/2017, 07:05 PM
It's an t8 full spectrum freshwater tube...what is GFO? I'm kinda New to saltwater..and I only have a hang on back filter with mechanical filtration I was told I didn't need any other type of filtration since the live rock is the biological..this is a Fowlr tank not reef

scooter31707
03/15/2017, 08:23 AM
How long as the tank been running? In new establish tanks this is very normal and they will go away on their own.

mcgyvr
03/15/2017, 10:15 AM
It is totally normal part of a new tank maturing process..
diatoms, green film/hair algae and even cyano bacteria..
It will all go away on its own as the tank matures..

and ignore the comment about getting GFO..
Thats just totally not needed at all..
Its a media that absorbs phosphates when you have a phosphate issue due to overfeeding/excessive bioload,etc.... There is absolutely no good reason at this point to go that direction..

CrayolaViolence
03/15/2017, 02:09 PM
It's an t8 full spectrum freshwater tube...what is GFO? I'm kinda New to saltwater..and I only have a hang on back filter with mechanical filtration I was told I didn't need any other type of filtration since the live rock is the biological..this is a Fowlr tank not reef

What are you going to be putting in this tank? If you plan on any kind of coral then those lights won't work. You need T5 or marine LEDs.