PDA

View Full Version : Can I get a longnose hawkfish? (shrimp safe???)

The_Reef_Keeper
03/13/2017, 08:00 PM
Hi,
I was wondering if I could get a Longnose hawkfish for my 33 gallon reef. I was worried because I read that they can be known to go after shrimp.
I currently have a peppermint shrimp that is about 1 inch. He is my favorite thing in the tank! I dont want to risk him dying.

Any experiences?

Thanks!

humphreyhh
03/13/2017, 08:32 PM
Longnose hawkfish are very beautiful but are shrimp predators. I generally do not like to put my tank animals on risk. Too many people reported disappearing shrimps...though there are some exceptions, I would only keep either one of the two. Just my thoughts.

jar41
03/13/2017, 08:38 PM
I have mine for 2 months with 3 shrimps and no problems! Very cool to watch and always hungry hhehee

MMacro
03/14/2017, 12:43 AM
Yes, they can eat shrimp.
If you don't want to risk your shrimp getting eaten then why would you want to buy a fish that may eat it?
I think you pretty much answered your own question haha.

The Kahnasaur
03/14/2017, 12:53 AM
It could definitely go after the shrimp but having the shrimp in the tank before the hawkfish gives the shrimp some advantages to surviving. Get the small hawk you can find and it might work.

Cliving1
03/14/2017, 05:24 AM
One of my favorite fish I have ever had. Lived with peppermint and fire shrimp. Simply depends, they are predators and will fit what they can in their mouth.

scooter31707
03/14/2017, 07:33 AM
In my case I had two 2.5in cleaner shrimp in before the Hawkfish. It has been 1.5 years so far with no issues (knock on wood). It even lets the shrimp clean its mouth sometimes.

TokiHacker
03/14/2017, 08:25 AM
Hi,
I was wondering if I could get a Longnose hawkfish for my 33 gallon reef. I was worried because I read that they can be known to go after shrimp.
I currently have a peppermint shrimp that is about 1 inch. He is my favorite thing in the tank! I dont want to risk him dying.

Any experiences?

Thanks!

I had one large fire in an old tank with a long nose and he never messed with him.

FME they will tear up shrimp if it will fit in its mouth and peppermint shrimp are so small I wouldn't risk it. It sounds like he will knock him out... plus 33 gallons are a bit small even most will suggest 30gal. mine got a little past a half a foot!! He was a big sucker lol.

Cliving1
03/14/2017, 08:56 AM
I had one large fire in an old tank with a long nose and he never messed with him.

FME they will tear up shrimp if it will fit in its mouth and peppermint shrimp are so small I wouldn't risk it. It sounds like he will knock him out... plus 33 gallons are a bit small even most will suggest 30gal. mine got a little past a half a foot!! He was a big sucker lol.

Thats a good point about the tank size. Idk if 33 will work, they can get quite beefy.

Stolireef
03/14/2017, 09:09 AM
Note that they are jumpers. Lid strongly suggested.

Sent from my SM-G920V using Tapatalk

gone fishin
03/14/2017, 11:01 AM
I have one now and my tank became shrimp free over time. I really like trying to find which gorgonian he is perched in. I should also add that I have quite a few wrasses as well.

The_Reef_Keeper
03/14/2017, 11:32 AM
Ok then. I'll have to get one in a future build then :). Don't want to risk "peppy" the peppermint shrimp's life.

Stolireef
03/14/2017, 12:27 PM
It's interesting. In my earlier post I noted that they tend to be jumpers but then I watched a Marine Depot video of their 75 gallon rimless and it had a hawkfish. Maybe I'm wrong.

TokiHacker
03/14/2017, 02:14 PM
It's interesting. In my earlier post I noted that they tend to be jumpers but then I watched a Marine Depot video of their 75 gallon rimless and it had a hawkfish. Maybe I'm wrong.

no you are right. But not everyone jumps. When I worked at a LFS I saw some that did and some didn't. Mine never did and he died of old age (he was in an open top tank).

It is a good measure to say that they are jumpers.

I usually have some decent luck with stuff like this (have wrasses never had one jump, eels never crawled out, hawks never jumped and went for a fly *pun intended*)

TokiHacker
03/14/2017, 02:19 PM

no you are right. But not everyone jumps. When I worked at a LFS I saw some that did and some didn't. Mine never did and he died of old age (he was in an open top tank).

I usually have some decent luck with stuff like this (have wrasses never had one jump, eels never crawled out, hawks never jumped and went for a fly *pun intended*)

TokiHacker
03/14/2017, 02:30 PM