PDA

View Full Version : Mixing Station - Mixing?

hann1bal
03/14/2017, 01:58 PM
Ive been looking at all the fantastic posts regarding peoples saltwater mixing stations and decided to build my own using two Brutes. The main design question i have - is if there is a way to pump out both RODI and SALT without the two mixing in the central plumbing.

I like the design of the picture attached but Im concerned with the two containers mixing water, especially saltwater going into the RODI or siting in the plumbing and making salt measurements harder than they need be.

Mine wont exactly be this nice but does anyone have any recommendations on having limited plumbing but still allowing the pump to dispense either water source. the containers will be side by side and likely both on the floor.

Sambo107
03/14/2017, 02:01 PM
I think thats what the ball valves on the pvc is for.

LJLKRL
03/14/2017, 03:24 PM
Ive been looking at all the fantastic posts regarding peoples saltwater mixing stations and decided to build my own using two Brutes. The main design question i have - is if there is a way to pump out both RODI and SALT without the two mixing in the central plumbing.

I like the design of the picture attached but Im concerned with the two containers mixing water, especially saltwater going into the RODI or siting in the plumbing and making salt measurements harder than they need be.

Mine wont exactly be this nice but does anyone have any recommendations on having limited plumbing but still allowing the pump to dispense either water source. the containers will be side by side and likely both on the floor.

I see your concern. Salt water can stay in the line between the valves and the pump. I think the only way to keep the RODI water free of salt is to close the valve from the salt tank then flush the line with fresh RODI water.
There should be a drain valve in the line between the two ball valves to allow flushing.
The only other way to do this would be to have two pumps and separate containers and pipes.

bhbell
03/14/2017, 05:01 PM
I have my mix station set up horizontally with RO on top and SW on bottom. They are connected, but they both exist separately and I can use either, or both, at the same time.

Sent from my VK815 using Tapatalk

Optionman
03/15/2017, 08:34 AM
Here's my mixing station/ATO set up. the RODI water fills the 33 gal trash can and then the RODI line splits and continues approximately 25 ft under my living room floor and then up through the floor behind the tank and directly to a float in my sump. i have apex leak detectors monitoring sump water level, and a solenoid valve in RODI line to shut it off in case of float failure.

The 33 gal mixing station has a sump pump with PVC plumbing running under living room floor and up through floor to back of tank. A second, parallel, PVC line runs from the back of my tank, down through the floor and then under my living room floor to a utility sink in the basement near my RODI unit.

Water changes take 10-15 minutes, which entails starting a siphon and draining 30 gal into the basement sink, then turning a valve on PVC coming out of 33 gal container and pumping 30 gal back up to the tank.

This has worked fantastically for a year without a hitch.

rjjr1963
03/15/2017, 02:38 PM
I have a hose going from my station to reach the tanks and to fill the ATO reservoirs. I just purge the hose with whatever liquid I'm using at the time. When I move RODI to the salt mixing tank I use that same hose to purge the plumbing. The pipe going down through the platform feeds my hose (which you can't see) and the line going through the ceiling goes to my drain in the utility room.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/rjjrrjjr/6_zpsjjuo7dls.jpg

rjjr1963
03/15/2017, 02:39 PM
I have a hose going from my station to reach the tanks and to fill the ATO reservoirs. I just purge the hose with whatever liquid I'm using at the time. When I move RODI to the salt mixing tank I use that same hose to purge the plumbing. The pipe going down through the platform feeds my hose (which you can't see) and the line going through the ceiling goes to my drain in the utility room.

http://i153.photobucket.com/albums/s215/rjjrrjjr/6_zpsjjuo7dls.jpg

dyazdani
03/15/2017, 07:59 PM
You can use two pumps so that the plumbing does not have to be interconnected. Just plumb the RODI into the salt tank high enough so it is above the water level. Tee off in between (with a valve also) to wherever you'd like to dispense.

hann1bal
03/16/2017, 09:18 AM
Thanks again everyone for the good info!