PDA

View Full Version : Whats Up with this Cycle?

themummra
03/14/2017, 08:06 PM
29 gallon tank with caribsea sand, dry rock, life rock
Dosed Ammonia to ~6-8ppm (higher than I planned) 4 days ago
Current test results are

http://i.imgur.com/MP1VwrR.jpg

themummra
03/14/2017, 08:16 PM
http://i.imgur.com/MP1VwrR.jpg

bertoni
03/14/2017, 08:53 PM
Those numbers seem reasonable to me. You'll just need to wait at this point. I might do some water changes or add some Prime or Amquel if there's any life on the live rock that I wanted to save.

themummra
03/14/2017, 09:07 PM
Those numbers seem reasonable to me. You'll just need to wait at this point. I might do some water changes or add some Prime or Amquel if there's any life on the live rock that I wanted to save.

I don't have any Live rock in the tank. Just Dry Rock and Caribsea Life Rock

themummra
03/14/2017, 09:08 PM
Which is where my confusion comes from, I didn't think it would be able to start making nitrates that fast without Live Rock?

bertoni
03/14/2017, 09:20 PM
Ah, I see. I had never heard of that product. The company claims to have seeded it with bacteria, which might be possible. It's also very hard to predict how quickly bacteria will start to grow. I don't think those levels are all that surprising for a real system. We see a lot of variation in startup time. Personally, I'd just wait.

themummra
03/14/2017, 09:34 PM
Ah, I see. I had never heard of that product. The company claims to have seeded it with bacteria, which might be possible. It's also very hard to predict how quickly bacteria will start to grow. I don't think those levels are all that surprising for a real system. We see a lot of variation in startup time. Personally, I'd just wait.

Thanks for the reply! I hadn't seen or used it before either but it looks really cool so I grabbed some/.

Definitely waiting for ammonia to hit 0, and then redose until it can hit 0 within 24 hours.

Bananafish
03/15/2017, 09:04 AM
I've heard of Life Rock, never knew anyone who used it. Supposedly, seeded with bacteria - just not sure what kind.

This looks normal to me. How long is this tank up? You might add some BioZyme (red can) to speed it up a bit. I prefer this over any of the liquids, and I usually lay it down under the substrate (which you can't do anymore). But as Jonathan said, you're best bet is to wait.

LX20000
03/15/2017, 09:33 AM
You really dosed it up high... I am cycling my 10 gallon nano, I dosed it to 2-3 ppm ammonia, and it has been slowly coming down for 8 days..... and I added bacteria.... 6-8ppm will take quite a while.

mcgyvr
03/15/2017, 10:28 AM
Normal.. Carry on.. Do not add anymore ammonia.. Thats PLENTY..

themummra
03/15/2017, 05:32 PM
New test results!

Ammonia has dropped quite a bit since yesterday. nitrites still 5+, nitrate dropped a little

http://i.imgur.com/sZFHguq.jpg

bertoni
03/15/2017, 06:43 PM
Okay, that looks like reasonable progress. :)

themummra
03/16/2017, 06:07 PM
More results! Ammonia down to 1 or .5 ppm? Should I wait till the Nitrite drops to redose Ammonia?

http://i.imgur.com/6azjnPD.jpg

bertoni
03/16/2017, 06:11 PM
I wouldn't add any more ammonia. If you do want to add some, the timing isn't all that critical.

themummra
03/16/2017, 07:30 PM
I wouldn't add any more ammonia. If you do want to add some, the timing isn't all that critical.

Should I add some after it's 0 to test that the tank can cycle ammonia to 0 in 24 hours?

BryanCaruso
03/16/2017, 07:45 PM
I just went through a cycle myself. What I did is after the initial ammonia dose. I ghost fed the tank to keep the bacteria fed just a small amount of flake food is what I used Twice a day. Then when the nitrites were almost down then I went to ghost feeding every three days. I also used dryrock and a bacteria product, live sand and live rubble in the sump. 12 day cycle. I also did a 50% water change when nitrites hit zero and keep in mind with the API tests as long as you are reading nitrites they will give you a false positive on nitrates. Another thing make sure you shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds before you add bottle one. So add bottle 1 put lid on it invert several times then add the shaken up bottle 2 and shake for 1 minute it is in the instructions. And different then the ammonia test

bertoni
03/16/2017, 07:54 PM
A tiny bit of ghost feeding is fine. I would wait for a day of zero ammonia and then consider stocking small animals, if I wanted any. At that point, the ghost feeding would help them grow and reproduce. A bit of food now wouldn't hurt, but given the very large initial ammonia dose, I wouldn't bother in this case. There should be plenty of fixed nitrogen in the system.

I'm not sure where the idea to test the ammonia processing capacity by re-dosing got started, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

themummra
03/16/2017, 08:16 PM
I just went through a cycle myself. What I did is after the initial ammonia dose. I ghost fed the tank to keep the bacteria fed just a small amount of flake food is what I used Twice a day. Then when the nitrites were almost down then I went to ghost feeding every three days. I also used dryrock and a bacteria product, live sand and live rubble in the sump. 12 day cycle. I also did a 50% water change when nitrites hit zero and keep in mind with the API tests as long as you are reading nitrites they will give you a false positive on nitrates. Another thing make sure you shake bottle 2 for 30 seconds before you add bottle one. So add bottle 1 put lid on it invert several times then add the shaken up bottle 2 and shake for 1 minute it is in the instructions. And different then the ammonia test

Thanks for the advice! At the very least I am following the testing instructions. I am a chemical engineer student so doing lab related stuff is not too challenging. I didn't know that about the Nitrite test showing false positives for Nitrate. Why is that?

A tiny bit of ghost feeding is fine. I would wait for a day of zero ammonia and then consider stocking small animals, if I wanted any. At that point, the ghost feeding would help them grow and reproduce. A bit of food now wouldn't hurt, but given the very large initial ammonia dose, I wouldn't bother in this case. There should be plenty of fixed nitrogen in the system.

I'm not sure where the idea to test the ammonia processing capacity by re-dosing got started, but it doesn't make much sense to me.

Small animals being a CUC? Better get to work on picking that out then.

I understood it as follows: the point of a cycle is to get a bacteria population present that can eventually process ammonia from livestock waste. So redosing to a small amount and seeing if it gets to 0 within a day lets you know if its ready to process livestock waste.

bertoni
03/16/2017, 08:27 PM
A cleanup crew would be a good start, and some people like to stock mysid shrimp, copepods, and amphipods to provide live food, and some cleanup.

Bacterial populations can change rapidly. They generally won't live long without food, so what we need is a seed population. The ammonia dose that was added probably is days worth of fish output. The excess bacteria that are dying now, or being killed by viruses, etc, will provide enough ammonia to keep the system going, if there's not enough available as is.

If I was planning to stock a large fish population in one shot, I might ghost feed ¼ of the total food I was going to give the fish. One day probably would be plenty of testing. Bacterial populations can grow very rapidly.

BryanCaruso
03/16/2017, 08:31 PM
I never re dosed however doing my research. It seemed like some people wanted to see how fast the ammonia came down in a 24 hour period. Also some people thought that continuing dosing would prepare them for a larger bio load sooner. And I don't know why the nitrites results in a false positive of nitrates wheather it is API related or all tests just what I learned from my cycle

bertoni
03/16/2017, 08:47 PM
Continued dosing won't prepare for a higher initial bio-load unless the dose is increased and the tank is not already surface-area-limited. Even then, the bacteria will start dying back very rapidly, so the effect is very short in duration.

Nitrate kits often work by reducing some of the nitrate to nitrite, and then detecting the nitrite, which is easier, chemically speaking. So small amounts of nitrite will show up as large amounts of nitrate.

themummra
03/17/2017, 05:27 PM
Ammonia almost down to 0, Nitrites starting to drop and Nitrates are going up! I think we are almost through this.

http://i.imgur.com/FZO0MNC.jpg

bertoni
03/17/2017, 10:34 PM
Okay, that looks like great progress!

themummra
03/18/2017, 06:51 PM
Nitrates up, looks like ammonia and nitrites going down

http://i.imgur.com/odYlLFZ.png

bertoni
03/18/2017, 07:42 PM
Hopefully the nitrite will be zero in a few days.

themummra
03/18/2017, 08:10 PM
Hopefully the nitrite will be zero in a few days.

If things keep going well!

Then it will be time to add some CUC. I know I want a hermit crab and a shrimp, not sure on what kind or what snails yet.

themummra
03/19/2017, 05:51 PM
Ammonia still down, nitrites going down and Nitrates are 100+ppm

Found a store with a clean, organized invertebrate section. And they are in a fishless system. Which is great as I do not have a quarantine setup yet.

themummra
03/19/2017, 08:18 PM
Did a pH test as I hadn't done one yet.
I can't tell what color this is?

http://i.imgur.com/YFaWPU0.png

btb72
03/19/2017, 09:21 PM
I'd say 8.1 so perfect. Don't worry about ph honestly.

themummra
03/20/2017, 12:04 AM
I'd say 8.1 so perfect. Don't worry about ph honestly.

That confirms what I've read, basically its not worth chasing pH. That will be determined by alkalinity and CO2 exchange.

bertoni
03/20/2017, 11:44 AM
That's correct. The pH will be set by the carbon dioxide level in the water and the alkalinity, and a fairly wide range, 7.8-8.4, will be fine. The corals might grow a bit more rapidly at the higher levels, but that's the only effect.

themummra
03/20/2017, 05:48 PM
Progress!

I put a couple flakes of food in yesterday, now my nitrites are 0 or close to it. Should I do a water change and then stock CUC?

themummra
03/20/2017, 05:49 PM
http://i.imgur.com/CdaWk4g.png

bertoni
03/20/2017, 06:03 PM
I think that a few water changes would be a good idea, but I'd wait to see whether the ammonia test result gets more towards the zero color. A day or two should be fine. Ammonia kits often measure small levels of ammonia in clean water, though.

themummra
03/20/2017, 06:10 PM
I think that a few water changes would be a good idea, but I'd wait to see whether the ammonia test result gets more towards the zero color. A day or two should be fine. Ammonia kits often measure small levels of ammonia in clean water, though.

Yeah it was actually more yellow and the blue lighter in person, I'll wait another day or two and see how the tests go.

bertoni
03/20/2017, 07:26 PM
Okay, the ammonia probably is zero, then, but waiting a day or two should give more margin for error.

themummra
03/21/2017, 09:41 PM
Ammonia from the flakes I added is coming down, nitrites about 0.

http://i.imgur.com/jjDqRQg.png

I want to get a CUC soon but I still have no algae. If I get just 1 hermit and 5 snails will they have enough to eat without any visible algae.

themummra
03/22/2017, 05:01 PM
Ammonia *shakes fist*

http://i.imgur.com/11tXQQ4.png

postaldave
03/22/2017, 05:18 PM
looking good. next stop Diatoms.

don't over buy CuC.

and remember. only bad things happen quickly in a reef tank.

bertoni
03/22/2017, 05:22 PM
Most hermit crabs are fine with a bit of fish food to eat. I'd wait on the herbivorous snails until the algae shows up.

themummra
03/22/2017, 10:38 PM
Ill grab 2 blue leg hermits then!

themummra
03/23/2017, 06:00 PM
I have some raw scallops leftover. Can I cut them into tiny pieces and freeze them to feed to the crabs?

themummra
03/23/2017, 06:50 PM
Also, Would it be ok for me to get 2 hermits and a small coral if my media basket wont be installed until sometime tomorrow or Saturday? I just have a Biocube Filter w/ carbon in it currently.

themummra
03/24/2017, 06:14 PM
Life!

http://i.imgur.com/3ve09mL.png

Frogspawn after Bayer dipping
http://i.imgur.com/Km79dDR.jpg

30m Later
http://i.imgur.com/Z6roAhV.jpg

bertoni
03/25/2017, 10:50 AM
I suspect the crab will be happy to eat the shrimp, and a few more animals like that, and a coral, probably will be fine. The live rock should be the primary filtration.

themummra
03/25/2017, 01:21 PM
I suspect the crab will be happy to eat the shrimp, and a few more animals like that, and a coral, probably will be fine. The live rock should be the primary filtration.

The crabs LOVED the scallops! It was so cool. Once I got the pipette close to the crab it would smell it and start reaching for the food.

Picked up a couple pieces of acrylic yesterday as well. Im going to build my media basket today if I can find acrylic cement.

themummra
03/27/2017, 11:31 PM
Got some acrylic + Weldon and made a ghetto media basket. Measurements are all uneven and I had to use a razor blade to do cuts. But it will last until I can laser cut some next week.

Water is still a little cloudy from installing the basket and an MJ1200. This pump is so much quieter!