PDA

View Full Version : Found this guy on Tank Glass

Reeferman1019
03/16/2017, 11:12 AM
It's white in color kinda translucent with a white head that is moving and what looks to be two antennae on its head. It measures 1 cm long and it moving like a slug on my tank glass. Can someone ID for me. 369712

Thanks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Diana A
03/16/2017, 11:25 AM
flat worm?

Reeferman1019
03/16/2017, 11:26 AM
flat worm?

hope not

Demnok
03/16/2017, 06:23 PM
It might be a spaghetti worm. If the antenna are long, they are actually feeding tongues. Not an expert but I have a ton in my tank and I have seen them on the glass before. Mostly they are in tunnels made from sand on the bottom.

Reeferman1019
03/16/2017, 07:25 PM
It might be a spaghetti worm. If the antenna are long, they are actually feeding tongues. Not an expert but I have a ton in my tank and I have seen them on the glass before. Mostly they are in tunnels made from sand on the bottom.

my tank is a Bare Bottom, is this a friend or foe

Demnok
03/16/2017, 07:36 PM
If it's a spaghetti worm it's great. Good for biodiversity and eats detritus, reef friendly. Hard to tell from the pic. is it opaque / white in color?

Reeferman1019
03/16/2017, 07:45 PM
If it's a spaghetti worm it's great. Good for biodiversity and eats detritus, reef friendly. Hard to tell from the pic. is it opaque / white in color?

It's white in color but when I goggle some pics of spaghetti worms it doesn't seem like the correct thing

Diana A
03/16/2017, 07:50 PM
It doesn't look like a flat worm in person?

Reeferman1019
03/17/2017, 06:48 AM
It doesn't look like a flat worm in person?

not really it doesn't have that forked rear end that flatworms have. But it could be a flatworm of some sort possible a reef safe one

pagojoe
03/17/2017, 10:28 PM
If it's a flatworm it's going to be a polyclad, not acoel.

Reeferman1019
03/17/2017, 10:31 PM
If it's a flatworm it's going to be a polyclad, not acoel.

This good or bad

dendrite
03/18/2017, 09:11 AM
If polyclad, which is what I would guess, its bad. Pretty predatory on whatever invertebrate it can catch. If in doubt, I would remove it. It's not like you're going to threaten the world population of flatworms or endanger your tanks biodiversity. You're likely to save yourself problems in the future.

Reeferman1019
03/18/2017, 09:16 AM
If polyclad, which is what I would guess, its bad. Pretty predatory on whatever invertebrate it can catch. If in doubt, I would remove it. It's not like you're going to threaten the world population of flatworms or endanger your tanks biodiversity. You're likely to save yourself problems in the future.

I haven't seen him back on the glass or any others in my tank that look like that. Hopefully he's not picking of my snails at this very moment. Is there a fish I can get to eat them such as a springer damsel? My tank is a bare bottom and I don't see any dead snails

dendrite
03/18/2017, 09:59 AM
The only fish that I know of by reputation would be six line or some of the halichoeres wrasses. Some of them love snails or shrimp. Also they sleep in the sand. Concerning the polyclads, Ive never seen one out during day or crawling on glass. They usually hide in rocks and hunt the rocks at night. They move surprisingly fast and avoid light. I have limited experience but the two I've caught and removed were over an inch( 2.5 cm) in diameter. I found one devouring a small tuxedo urchin.

Reeferman1019
03/18/2017, 10:54 AM
The only fish that I know of by reputation would be six line or some of the halichoeres wrasses. Some of them love snails or shrimp. Also they sleep in the sand. Concerning the polyclads, Ive never seen one out during day or crawling on glass. They usually hide in rocks and hunt the rocks at night. They move surprisingly fast and avoid light. I have limited experience but the two I've caught and removed were over an inch( 2.5 cm) in diameter. I found one devouring a small tuxedo urchin.

When I initially found him for the first time it was about 12 noon and he was moving on the front glass. I should of removed them and there but I haven't seen him back since or other like him. I will look for carefully at night. The ones you caught are big! Do you have pics? Do they multiply fast? I do like the six line but they get super aggressive and currently in my tank I have a pair of clowns, and 5 green chromis the tank is fairly new been setup since 1/17.

dendrite
03/18/2017, 11:13 AM
I only found those two. The first was easy to remove since it was so intent on eating the urchin that I could pull the urchin out. The second disappeared in a coral piece and I removed the piece and pulled out the worm. It broke apart so I irrigated the small area with r/o water to get the pieces. The coral didn't like it but has done well since. I wouldn't do anything at the time. Why disturb the status quo for something that might not be a problem? Just keep your eyes open for anything and remove it if you get the chance

Reeferman1019
03/18/2017, 11:16 AM
I only found those two. The first was easy to remove since it was so intent on eating the urchin that I could pull the urchin out. The second disappeared in a coral piece and I removed the piece and pulled out the worm. It broke apart so I irrigated the small area with r/o water to get the pieces. The coral didn't like it but has done well since. I wouldn't do anything at the time. Why disturb the status quo for something that might not be a problem? Just keep your eyes open for anything and remove it if you get the chance

Ok cool, if I see any dead snail on the bottom I will know something isn't right. What are some good wrasses for a bare bottom ones that are peaceful and reef safe and also reef beneficial?

dendrite
03/18/2017, 11:44 AM
I have a vroliks and a Melanuris, and red lined wrasse which are perfect citizens , beautiful and hunt the nooks and crannies but disappear into the sand at nite. You could put a three or four inch bowl of sand in the back of your tank for sleeping quarters. Most people love their wrasses