PDA

View Full Version : Herbie/Bean with dual overflow tank?

rtparty
03/16/2017, 11:55 AM
I am helping a friend of mine setup a new 180g tank. It will have dual corner overflows. He wants the tank to be quiet so I suggested a Herbie or BeanAnimal setup if we can make it work.

I am assuming the tank has 2 holes in each overflow. Not sure on sizes on just yet but should know them soon. So how have you plumbed a siphon style drain with two overflows? Is it even possible?

Thanks!

tkeracer619
03/16/2017, 12:21 PM
I don't have any experience with a bean but in a herbie since each full siphon has a valve for adjustment you adjust how much each full siphon drains. The second drain in the setup would be for the emergency and you'll adjust each overflow such that they both barely keep the emergency wet.

ddanis60
03/16/2017, 01:49 PM
Same as a single overflow herbie I would think. As tke said above, the main full siphon will have a valve to adjust the siphon flow and use that and the return pump to adjust the water level in your overflow box to just a trickle into the emergency. Just do this twice. Might take a few extra minutes getting the valves set correctly on the main siphon. Should work just fine and be completely silent. I have my main drain 6" below my emergency, and my emergency 1/2" below the overflow teeth to keep things quiet. I have a single overflow tho

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

rtparty
03/16/2017, 05:03 PM
I found some good info. The easiest way is to see if one pipe can handle the flow. If so, keep one overflow box dry by raising the height of the weir slightly. In the dry overflow you have an emergency and the return. In the wet overflow you have the main siphon and a return or another emergency.

Since we'll be pushing 1000gph at most, a 1" full siphon should handle it no problem.

elFloyd
03/16/2017, 05:10 PM
Set mine up with two siphons and two emergency drains. Ran two returns over the back.

ca1ore
03/16/2017, 07:19 PM
I'm running a dual overflow marineland 265. I've played around with just about all combinations and permutations. Overflows aren't big enough to be able to keep one dry. What's worked best for me is dual, independent herbies in each overflow. Necessitated an over the back rim, which is a aesthetic foul, but such is life.

tjnorthdakota
03/17/2017, 09:10 PM
Not sure if allowed to post link from competing forum but here is my build of a 120. I have also plumbed this way on a 180, tested it at around 3000gpm through the one 1" drain with no problem. If worried about no flow in the one box just throw a maxi jet in it with a loc line return hooked to it to create circulation with the rest of your tank. http://www.*********.com/threads/120-aqueon-bean-conversion.249416/#post-2949183

tjnorthdakota
03/17/2017, 09:15 PM
Sorry I tried, I would post pictures here but they show up upsidedown when I upload them for some reason

TUNDRA_85
03/22/2017, 07:39 AM
ca1ore do you have any pictures of your setup? I am setting the same exact tank now. The sump is going to be on the other side of the wall for ease of maintenance and expantion.

fishgate
03/22/2017, 07:49 AM
This explains it all.

RYhAp6GFNz8

TUNDRA_85
03/22/2017, 08:14 AM
Very nice video. Thank you fishgate.