PDA

View Full Version : Grand Cayman Scuba/Snorkeling Experiences?

BigBlueTang
03/16/2017, 10:10 PM
Hey all,
My family and I are going on a trip to The Grand Cayman, and I was wondering if anyone has any experience diving/snorkeling there, and could offer any tips on where to visit? My sister and I are PADI Open Water certified if that helps any.. If not, no worries :)

sellersmd
03/19/2017, 09:41 AM
I've done Grand Cayman a couple times, I love it as a dive destination. Depending on how long you'll be there and where you will be staying, I would look into diving with Ocean Frontiers on the east end of the island. It is about a 40 minute drive from downtown Georgetown or the airport, but IMHO one of the best ops on the island. If you don't feel like going way over there, DNS divers also runs a pretty good operation on the west end.

In terms of actual locations, try and dive the Kittiwake if you can. It is a really great "easy" wreck dive. It sits in like 60-70 feet of water, and they have cut large holes throughout the wreck for easy penetration. It is a submarine rescue vessel. All of their dive sites are good, in my opinion.

Another really cool thing to do in Grand Cayman is Stingray City. It is a shallow (4-6 feet of water) sand bar that is home to probably 50 large stingrays. Lots of tour operators take people out there every day and let them feed fish to the stingrays, so they are really like large dogs that you get in the water and play with. Very friendly and a unique experience for sure.

Kentech5
03/19/2017, 10:46 AM
Grand Cayman was the first place I ever went snorkeling. I don't have any recommendations since we just picked a random snorkel tour but the fish and coral were beautiful.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Mpal771
03/19/2017, 04:28 PM
Tom @ Cayman Marine Lab does a variety of dives (including night) and he explains what you are seeing when your down. No high brow stuff, just info that's great for hobbyists. The night dives reveal the unbelievable luminescence from the corals with polyp extension on full display.

The Caman Diving Lodge is on the east end of Grand Caman and charters out to the ridiculous dropffs with 100+ foot visibility. Closest you will ever feel to being an astronaut.

DiverDavid
03/20/2017, 10:33 PM
Devils Grotto, the house reef at sunset house, kittiwake, some of my favorites. If conditions are right Bonnie's Arch is one of the best dives I've ever been on.

WLachnit
03/22/2017, 12:29 AM
There is diving all over the island and if you haven't been, then hard to go wrong. The west end has had the most diving impact, but still good. The time of year will dictate what side of the island is diveable. When the winds are up on the north side, you dive the south side, etc. the only side I have not dived is the east end and I hear it is fantastic. Sting ray city is fun but beware, when the cruise ships come in later in the morning, it is a zoo....absolutely crowded. So, go first thing in the morning. The snorkeling there is easy and good as well near sting ray city.