PDA

View Full Version : Is it okay to glue lens pucks to LED board?

Molter
03/18/2017, 06:11 AM
Ok, so I'm a clumsy idiot who was dumb enough to let his Photon 48 slip into the tank. ... While running. FML.

That said, this happened over 48 hours ago.
Immediately after the right half went underwater, I immediately located and jerked the power cord out of the light. From there, I taught myself how to take the light apart. (I do not recommend doing this. There are many screws and many holes and if you're rushing the process you might not remember what went where. Lol).
The good news is that I guess that after disassembling every aspect of the light and hand drying each component as throughly I was able to actually saved the light! (Thank GOD!)
All of that said, I'm finding it utterly impossible to secure all of the pucks to the board. Many of them will fall off the second I lift or tilt the boards, rendering it utterly impossible to flip them and reassemble the light.
So the question is, would gluing them to the board cause any issues? I wouldn't think so, but then again​ they weren't glued coming out of the factory, so I want to double check before actually doing it. ... Don't want to cause some chemical reaction that kills the light or something.

Thanks in advance for your help!

Reef_Breeders
03/18/2017, 07:37 PM
Yes, you can use hot glue to mount them to the LED board.

Sometimes I recommend just inverting the splash shield and inserting the board from below, it is harder to do that with the 48s, but if you screw down 1 board at a time it should work.

Molter
03/26/2017, 05:40 PM
Hey Logan, so update:
Everything is working great, except for the fact that one of my fans isn't running.
To be fair, I'm not certain if it wasn't running after I said everything up again the beginning or if it just stopped running, all I know is I just noticed it now.
Is it horrible if one of them isn't running? I would imagine so, since that could probably be a fire risk if it heated up too much.
Any suggestions for troubleshooting it?
Thanks.