PDA

View Full Version : Cure Algae Scrubber on Vacation?

sappho
03/19/2017, 01:14 PM
I've had trouble with nitrates for quite a long time so I put in an algae scrubber a couple weeks ago. I know it has a curing period but it has been slow going, it just turned green a few days ago. Thing is, in a week I have to leave for a few days to a week and I'm concerned that leaving the scrubber at this point could harm my tank? Currently the screen is green, but no strands or anything, with a few spots of dark brown (diatoms maybe?). My LFS said to leave the lights on 24 hrs while I was gone to prevent pH fluctuation. Is this right?

Vinny Kreyling
03/19/2017, 05:49 PM
To be honest -- anything not finished before vacations should be postponed --
No check on what's happening can be done and you know Murphy's Law.
A few days I might chance -- but not a week. JMHO

Devaji108
03/19/2017, 08:23 PM
how about post a pic so we can see.
I am in the option to just leave it be let nature take it course. yes ATS do need a break in period.
I am sure you rough up the screen yes?
what lights are you using? how long?

on my upflow after the 1st cleaning I just let it be. check in around the 10 day mark i have nice turf growing.

that said I do see vinnys point about Murphy's law.

sappho
03/20/2017, 05:02 PM
Unfortunately, I have never been able to get the photos to work on this sight :headwally:. Right now its mostly green in color but no mossy or slimy texture. Its started to get really dark brown spots. Is this cause for concern? Should I scrub them off? Also it seems to be taking quite a long time to mature but I never really had hair algae in the tank.
I sanded my screen with some sandpaper I had around but it was pretty fine git. By the time I realized that I might need some more aggressive scratching it had already been going for a couple days. Given that many people have reported having faster breakin periods after replacing an ats I decided to let it finish then try and scratch it up a bit more later. I did sand the hell out of it but it seemed to only take the shine off the plastic.
I have a 23W daylight bulb that I run for 14hrs a day.
If this is a bad idea, what do I do? Clean it off and start over in a week?

mcgyvr
03/21/2017, 06:54 AM
What? I don't get it.. The day before you leave just clean it off and put it right back into service..
Its not going to magically grow like a beanstalk and just engulf your tank or something in a few days to a week..

Just leave it running and enjoy your vacation.. Its totally fine..

LQT
03/21/2017, 06:59 AM
If you're that concerned about it going rogue with growth while you're gone, you could always cut back on the ATS's lighting cycle or intensity (if dimmable) to slow down any growth concerns you may have. I wouldn't take it offline though as it does take time for an ATS to mature.

wildman926
03/31/2017, 12:15 PM
You will be fine, just let it do it's thing. At this stage of maturation of the screen, it will take a while to grow too much to do any harm.

This is what I get weekly, but my ATS is 3 years old. If you were at this stage, then yes, you would need to take action, such as lowering the light interval from 24 hours to 12, or something like that.

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/Algae%20Turf%20Scrubbers/5abc0a98-ad97-4406-8f14-4feddcb5b598_zpsrndutb6g.jpg

reefer1970
04/01/2017, 09:43 PM
If no leaks, let it go

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Vio
04/21/2017, 06:42 PM
I've had trouble with nitrates for quite a long time so I put in an algae scrubber a couple weeks ago. I know it has a curing period but it has been slow going, it just turned green a few days ago. Thing is, in a week I have to leave for a few days to a week and I'm concerned that leaving the scrubber at this point could harm my tank? Currently the screen is green, but no strands or anything, with a few spots of dark brown (diatoms maybe?). My LFS said to leave the lights on 24 hrs while I was gone to prevent pH fluctuation. Is this right?

"to prevent pH fluctuation" mean nothing. Just run 16 hrs. from 24, you go and enjoy your Vacation, worst coming the worst , you may have restriction on screen because of grow, nothing to be worry , i clean mine when i feel like, no specific time. I hope you got like 2 weeks Vacation.