PDA

View Full Version : Best 3000 gph Submersible Feed Pump

Nanook
03/19/2017, 08:14 PM
Looking for reliability and low to medium wattage. Doesn't need to be controllable, I'm an Iwaki guy at heart but want to keep the heat in the water.

Nanook
03/19/2017, 08:14 PM
Could be slightly more or less gph.

jda
03/19/2017, 08:41 PM
Laguna or Fluval with the Askol block. Either are really good.

Nanook
03/19/2017, 08:49 PM
Laguna pond pumps?

jda
03/19/2017, 09:04 PM
Yup. AFAIK they are the same as the Fluval except one has plastic and one has ceramic bearings. I use the Laguna, but would use the Fluval in a minute. They have the same Askol block.

I also like mags, but the all end up making noise for me and eventually end up just mixing water after a four or five years. I will buy them if a reefer is getting out of the hobby and they are cheap. I usually like to have a few on hand in case another pump goes out.

The electricity does not bother me - I am in Colorado and I need the heat in a bad way.

SethO
03/19/2017, 09:06 PM
Looking for reliability and low to medium wattage. Doesn't need to be controllable, I'm an Iwaki guy at heart but want to keep the heat in the water.

What do consider medium to low range wattage?

SethO
03/19/2017, 09:07 PM
What do consider medium to low range wattage?

What do you consider medium to low range wattage?

Nanook
03/19/2017, 09:15 PM
What do you consider medium to low range wattage?

100-150ish

Nanook
03/19/2017, 09:17 PM
Yup. AFAIK they are the same as the Fluval except one has plastic and one has ceramic bearings. I use the Laguna, but would use the Fluval in a minute. They have the same Askol block.

I also like mags, but the all end up making noise for me and eventually end up just mixing water after a four or five years. I will buy them if a reefer is getting out of the hobby and they are cheap. I usually like to have a few on hand in case another pump goes out.

The electricity does not bother me - I am in Colorado and I need the heat in a bad way.

I'll see if I can find them, thanks!! I was looking at Ecotech Vectra L1, but haven't seen much feedback good or bad. A friend here in town had one open up and rust out completely on him, but Ecotech made it right. I'm really just wanting to set it in the sump and forget it like my Iwaki pumps.

jda
03/19/2017, 09:27 PM
I think that Ecotech is a fine company, but I don't know that anybody puts them on the same level as something like a Tunze, Ehiem, Iwaki, PanWorld, Dolphin, etc. with 10+ years of trouble-free service. This is not a knock on them... this is strong company to keep with a high bar. Look to Mag (nosiy), Ehiem or Askol (laguna or fluval) for plug-in and forget reliability. I don't know if Ehiem makes a pump that big, though.

SethO
03/19/2017, 09:45 PM
100-150ish

Fluval SP6

SethO
03/19/2017, 09:48 PM
I'll see if I can find them, thanks!! I was looking at Ecotech Vectra L1, but haven't seen much feedback good or bad. A friend here in town had one open up and rust out completely on him, but Ecotech made it right. I'm really just wanting to set it in the sump and forget it like my Iwaki pumps.

The Ecotech Vectra series pump are well made. Quiet, low power consumption.

I replaced the M1 I had with a Fluval SP6 for an interesting problem, it was interfering with my Apex conductivity probe.

Nanook
03/19/2017, 09:55 PM
Hmmm, looks like a couple Fluval SP6's are needed, thanks! I wonder since they're 1.25" in/out if they'll handle reducing to two 3/4 " Seaswirls? They don't handle much head pressure either.

jda
03/20/2017, 07:45 AM
Laguna 2900 from my basement to my first floor will pump enough that my 120G AG Reef Ready with dual 1" can barely handle the drain. I use it at 3/4" - they have a snap-on fitting that you can cut to your situation. They make a 4200 or 4300 (I forget) which pumps even more.

Nanook
03/20/2017, 09:17 AM
Are these the right pumps? Does that cage thing come off?

http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-max-flo-2900-waterfall-filter-pump/

http://www.lagunaponds.com/en_us/laguna-max-flo-4280-waterfall-filter-pump/

jda
03/20/2017, 09:43 AM
Yes. Yes, the cage comes off unless you have lots of leaves in your reef and then you can keep it on. :) It looks like any other pump without the cage thingy on it.

Nanook
03/20/2017, 09:46 AM
Thanks! I'll probably get the 2900gph one for my 375 African Cichlids tank and the 4200 for my 470 stick tank, about 1000gph will feed my skimmer, the rest can be recirculating.

Voodoojar
03/20/2017, 10:08 AM
Im going to say Jebao DCS 12000. You can buy two and two coral Box battery backups for the price of the of one Vectra Pump and keep one of them under your bed in case of emergency. Mine has been running solid for over a year with no issues and I do have a brand new backup just in case.

gcarroll
03/20/2017, 10:35 AM
FYI, the Fluval is by far superior to the Laguna for salt water due to the ceramic bearings. I wouldn't choose the Laguna over the Fluval for any reason.

Another good choice would be the new Sicce SDC & ADV pumps coming out.
http://sicceus.com/sdc_adv.html

ksed
03/20/2017, 03:53 PM
What Greg said.

Lsufan
03/20/2017, 04:03 PM
I would go with the fluval sp6. I know I love mine & I wouldn't trade it for anything that is even close cost wise. I'm not sure about reducing to 3/4 because I actually upsized to 1.5" all the way to the tank. It is one powerful pump.

Nanook
03/20/2017, 05:55 PM
Appreciate the help, found a couple today on Amazon, got the Fluval SP6

ksed
03/20/2017, 07:50 PM
Keep us informed

Nanook
03/20/2017, 07:58 PM
I'll try to remember:)

golfish
03/20/2017, 10:56 PM
Dave, its good to see you...

I have a Reeflo Barracuda sitting in the garage. I think I rebuilt it right before I took the tank down 2 years ago.

I know its not a wet pump but its a darn good dry pump, baldor motor too..

I have no use for it. PM if your interested..

slief
03/20/2017, 11:13 PM

There actually is a difference. Both the Fluval and the Laguna's share blocks made by Askoll which are great blocks but the Fluval uses the big block Askoll motors where many of the Laguna's use small block Askoll pumps. That said, if given the choice between the two of those, I would choose the Fluval as it's designed for both internal and external use and has some upgrades to make it more appropriate for marine use. That is no nock on the Laguna pumps since they use the proven askoll based blocks the the Fluvals out of the box are a bit more robust for our application.

Nanook
03/20/2017, 11:13 PM
Dave, its good to see you...

I have a Reeflo Barracuda sitting in the garage. I think I rebuilt it right before I took the tank down 2 years ago.

I know its not a wet pump but its a darn good dry pump, baldor motor too..

I have no use for it. PM if your interested..

Thanks! Much appreciated:)

I have a few of these myself. Everything from two Hammerhead pumps, a Sequence 4300 and a Dart. I'm looking at internal for this build for a few reasons.

slief
03/20/2017, 11:15 PM
Appreciate the help, found a couple today on Amazon, got the Fluval SP6

You will like that pump. I've installed a few of them and recommend them highly. My only gripe with them is their unusually high inlet but they are great pumps that with routine maintenance will last a long long time, are damn near silent and transfer next to no heat.