PDA

View Full Version : QT after successful quarantine

philly_rfa
03/21/2017, 07:33 AM
So, I am pretty sure I know the answer on this... but going to ask anyways.

If I run my QT for a new fish, and complete successfully with no signs of illness and no medications administered, do i still need to ditch the water and disinfect the tank, and start over with a new QT cycle?

I think I know the right answer, but just want to check, because keeping and using for another new fish would certainly speed things up, since the tank has already cycled...

Yonp11
03/21/2017, 07:39 AM
I always bleach my QT tank after a successful treatment. I don't know if that's textbook or not, but I figure no reason to chance it.

I think if you put the new fish in your main tank, and your QT water has something in it, you'd have exposed your main tank and your 2nd new fish to it by not disinfecting.

If you're worried about cycling, just keep some sponge or live rock in your main tank sump, and pull one out for your new QT cycle. I've always done this and never had ammonia problems in QT.

Kaimana969
03/21/2017, 07:48 AM
I always bleach my QT tank after a successful treatment. I don't know if that's textbook or not, but I figure no reason to chance it.

I think if you put the new fish in your main tank, and your QT water has something in it, you'd have exposed your main tank and your 2nd new fish to it by not disinfecting.

If you're worried about cycling, just keep some sponge or live rock in your main tank sump, and pull one out for your new QT cycle. I've always done this and never had ammonia problems in QT.

BRS advises to leave a slab of Marine Pure in your sump. Then when you're running your QT, place that slab in the QT to help add beneficial bacteria to the tank.

philly_rfa
03/21/2017, 08:14 AM

I do the sponge in sump already, and haven't had ammonia issues in QT using it as my bacteria seed, but... I am battling nitrites to keep under control. Like the QT wont fully complete cycle (even though ammonia is not an issue). I have read not to worry about it since it is not an issue in saltwater until well into the 100's, but it still kinda makes me uneasy since i cant get it down to anywhere near zero...

Swensos
03/21/2017, 11:08 AM
Don't tear down and start over your QT.

If there was anything in the QT that was a risk, by moving the fish to the DT, you probably just infected the display. Cleaning the QT won't change that. As long as your quarantine was long enough and anything that presented was treated, the fish and QT are safe, and, therefore, your display is too.

DasCamel
03/21/2017, 11:30 AM
A mature and well cycled QT are great for fish. Unless something is present, I'd let it be. Suggest at least 6 weeks though...

philly_rfa
03/21/2017, 11:36 AM
As long as your quarantine was long enough and anything that presented was treated, the fish and QT are safe, and, therefore, your display is too.

So, on this line of thought... if some treatment (not copper, but something like Prazipro) was used, would that change your answer?

lg2725
03/21/2017, 01:33 PM
So, on this line of thought... if some treatment (not copper, but something like Prazipro) was used, would that change your answer?
Prazipro only lasts for a few days. After which the strengths wears down to nothing. If there was a fear of anything from that QT contaminating your "newly purchased" QT inhabitants, then your DT already has it. In which case there are bigger things to tackle.

Swensos
03/21/2017, 02:25 PM

Toss in some carbon and it will remove the medication (not copper).

kmbyrnes
03/24/2017, 04:34 AM
There is a difference between equipment used to for TTM or disease treatment and a properly maintained and cycled QT system.
TTM and medication systems should be thoroughly disinfected between uses, discarding the water.
A cycled QT can be re-used ( including the water ) unless any issues arise during the observation period.
For me, that is 4 - 6 weeks after successful TTM depending on how well a fish is eating.

gone fishin
03/24/2017, 07:45 AM
I agree with kmbyrnes. When I was actively stocking my tank my main QT stayed up and running, if something had showed up in the QT then It would have come down. On the other hand the TTM tanks were cleaned after each use.

Once I was done with the initial stocking I took the QT down and used it as needed.

philly_rfa
03/24/2017, 07:47 AM
I agree with kmbyrnes. When I was actively stocking my tank my main QT stayed up and running, if something had showed up in the QT then It would have come down. On the other hand the TTM tanks were cleaned after each use.

Once I was done with the initial stocking I took the QT down and used it as needed.

Sounds like good advice. I think i am going to head down this road....

Dragon1979
03/25/2017, 08:41 AM
I never QT my fish but it seem like this is the way to go now to help surviving rate

Breadman03
03/25/2017, 08:53 AM
I keep a cycled QT at all times. New fish go there for observation and getting them eating. After a few weeks, I start TTM with rounds of Prazi, then into the DT. The QT will also serve for inbound corals.

I saw something recently showing issues with using a certain medication repeatedly in the same tank. I forget what the medication was, but the idea was that the bacteria in the tank learned how to metabolize the medication and it levels would decrease rapidly instead of stay at therapeutic levels long enough.