PDA

View Full Version : Coral harvesting

Johnny Reb
03/22/2017, 12:21 AM
Is coral harvesting from the wild sustainable? Does anyone have any experience with legal coral harvesting? I'm very new to this hobby and know very little about it. I don't even have corals yet.

ncaldwell
03/22/2017, 01:42 AM
It can be sustainable with proper management but unfortunately in a lot of countries it doesn't work that way. We are in a good time in the industry were many people have thriving tanks where we can routinely harvest and frag our own corals for trade in local clubs, and aquaculture and mariculturing corals is preferred by many hobbyists. Pretty sure as far as threats to coral reefs go, hobbyists are of the least concern.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-N920A using Tapatalk

BlackTip
03/22/2017, 08:15 AM
Captive propagated corals for the best chance of success.

sde1500
03/22/2017, 08:24 AM
I'm curious why you ask. If you are worried about buying corals for your tank, I'd say you don't have to worry. You can basically buy any coral you want online, or in person from other hobbyists grown in tanks. I'm not yet done stocking my tank with corals, but so far I know for certain I don't have a single coral in my tank that came from the ocean directly.

ReefsandGeeks
03/22/2017, 10:56 AM
Although it can be sustainable, coral taken from the wild are less likely to adapt to captive care. Same with fish, seahorses...etc. Hobbiest actually prefer aquacultured because of hardiness. Not to mention that's obviously sustainable and brings the reefing community together through frag swaps and other trading.

If I lived near the coast, I'd enjoy harvesting a few coral for the fun of it. But I'm sure the majority of my stuff would still be store bought.

Ron Reefman
03/22/2017, 01:59 PM
In the state of Florida with a valid Florida saltwater fishing license I can collect a wide variety of critters from the water. The only big no-no is stony coral which will get you a big fine. There are other items on the do not collect list and many items have very strict limits on how many you can take.

I have collected a wide variety of critters. Most have done very well, a few, somewhat expected have died, like sponges. But crabs, gorgonians, zoas, sea stars, sea cucumbers, small clams, shrimp, snails, small urchins and fish have all done quite well and lived in my tanks for many years.