PDA

View Full Version : Handy Tools for Reef Keeping

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 10:16 AM
I've been around this hobby for quite a long time and over that time, I've developed what I call my indispensable tool kit. Here' my list. Feel free to add your own.

1. Variety pack of strap ties and the little sticky tabs that allow you to mount them.
2. Strap tie tightening tool.
3. Grabber tool.
4. Scissors
5. Wire stripper, crimper, and cutter (better to have three tools rather than one that does triple duty.
6. Lockline tool
7. Voltage tester (great for making sure outlets are either off or on)
8. Benzene torch and/or heat gun (great for shrink wrapping those butt splices on power cords that are too short or long).
9. Variety of shrink wrap sizes.
10. Metal and plastic scraper
11. A handful of different push in 1/4 OD tube fittings (joiners, tees, a couple of ball valves, etc.).
12. Needle nose pliers
13. Micro plier/cutter set (this is mostly used for fragging but it always seems like I find other uses as well).

Feel free to add your items.

mcgyvr
03/22/2017, 10:20 AM
14. Beer

elescher
03/22/2017, 10:21 AM
Wet/dry vac
Razor blades
Pvc cutter

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 10:24 AM
Here are some pictures of the more obscure tools. A good strap tie tool is super helpful. It can tighten down strap ties much faster and better than pliers and makes a perfectly clean cut of the excess strap tie.

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 10:26 AM
From left to right,
Good wire cutter
Stripper tool (works way better than the multi tools)
Multitool mostly used for crimping splices

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 10:28 AM
Just peel the backing off the mount, stick it on a clean surface, and thread the strap tie through. About a billion different uses. For added security, you can also screw the mount into the service with a short wood screw.

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 10:29 AM
Not only is this useful when working in tight spaces under your tank, it's also useful any time you have to grab something small from a tight space. I probably use this at least twice per week.

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 10:31 AM
14. Beer

I prefer Scotch but any adult beverage will do.

Wet/dry vac
Razor blades
Pvc cutter

+10 on the wet/dry vac. Whenever I work on the tank, I keep one very nearby. Razor blades are also a must. I usually just use a hack saw and file on the pvc but a cutter is much cleaner.

air2mag
03/22/2017, 11:29 AM
Teflon tape for sure.

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 11:42 AM
Teflon tape for sure.

Actually, this is a really controversial topic. According to the PVC makers, you're not supposed to use teflon tape on threaded fittings. It actually weakens the seal. Rather, your supposed to use PTFE enriched pipe thread sealant.

The teflon tape is just a lubricant and it actually allows you to overtighten a threaded fitting. It doesn't do anything to seal the connection. Pipe thread sealant doesn't really act as a lubricant but it does seal the threads.

I learned all of this the hard way after over tightening a threaded fitting on my tank bulkhead. Two weeks of leaks, drained overflow and begging for help from a plumber friend nailed the issue. Lot's of threads about this on RC.

Stolireef
03/22/2017, 03:45 PM
I almost forgot one of my favorites. Hand held label maker for all those wires tubes and pipes.

mcgyvr
03/23/2017, 10:25 AM
Teflon tape for sure.

Teflon tape is for metal threads only.

DivingTheWorld
03/23/2017, 10:37 AM
Magnet tool for picking up dropped screws behind your sump. Works great when working on your car as well!

DivingTheWorld
03/23/2017, 10:40 AM
I think the one tool I really use the most, from cutting, shaving, smoothing, etc. is my Dremel. I even have a special blade I only use for cutting corals.