PDA

View Full Version : Little to no flow in my sump

PirateLove
03/22/2017, 12:55 PM
HI RC. I have very little flow in my sump. I cannot turn my main up anymore because the little corner overflow/durso cannot handle it. Is this ok?

Lsufan
03/22/2017, 04:54 PM
It really depends how low u are talking about but I would say as long as u don't have a layer of build up on the surface of the water then it's probably ok.

nereefpat
03/22/2017, 05:04 PM
What is the turnover per tank volume through the sump?

If you have dead spots in the sump, you can add a powerhead to blow stuff around the sump.

A sea K
03/23/2017, 05:23 AM
I would have to imagine that if your overflow/durso is maxed out then you likely have more flow through your sump than what you think. 3 to 5 times your tank volume through the sump is generally acceptable, what return pump are you using?

JohnnyHildo
03/23/2017, 06:00 AM
What is the turnover per tank volume through the sump?

If you have dead spots in the sump, you can add a powerhead to blow stuff around the sump.

i had plenty of water movement through my sump but i could see a small film developing in my return chamber (which is also where i dose) that was bothering me. one cobalt 900 later everything is perfect again and i also benefit by having a small utility pump to move the water and detritus from my sump during water changes.