PDA

View Full Version : Potential in constant sea water supply/ thesis help

norge_01
03/23/2017, 05:25 AM
Hello everybody, we are a group of students from Norway writing our master thesis about marine science infrastructure. We came across a question that needs more input from different sources (the more diverse inputs the more creative we can get) this is why we believe that this forum users would be keen to share insights with us!
The infrastructure we are investigating at the moment is the coastal facility with constant supply of fresh sea water.
The constant sea water supply (fresh sea water available "from the tap") can help with for example:
- scientists to work they experiments on saltwater fish more effectively
- helps with aquaculture
- maybe is an opportunity in desalination

We are looking for more inputs on the case, can you see theoretically any other industries/users that could benefit from the presence of the clean salt water?
Any insight or hint would be highly appreciated
Greetings from Norway

jewlz
04/02/2017, 04:35 PM
If I understand your post correctly, you're talking about a second set of water mains that deliver untreated salt water for process/industrial use? I have trouble seeing this as something that would be economically justifiable.

Dan_P
04/02/2017, 05:02 PM
Some ideas that need further exploration

Saltwater aquarium hobby and public aquariums
Cooking with seawater
Saltwater swimming pools
Weed killer along fences and road sides
Airplane de-icer

Celtic_Fox
04/03/2017, 06:48 PM
Heavy Water Extraction ;-)

Windy2
04/04/2017, 03:12 PM
Many Aquaculture facilities prefer to make their own salt water to avoid all of the diseases and other nasties that come with untreated sea water.

lebowski
04/12/2017, 05:09 PM
This is a crap shoot, but I could see myself (if I were in the financial position to do so) wanting pure saltwater routed to my home like actual tap water for bathing purposes.

Clean saltwater, especially hot, could provide plenty therapeutic and health benefits. This would definitely be something for "the elite".. just consideration.

Other than any other applications? I don't know much about Nacl+H20 and how any further processing could create any energy/ingredients or uses.

Of course, as a Saltwater enthusiast, I would love to have a direct line of extremely clean saltwater available to use for my reef keeping hobby, however there is also the issue of the piping involved in such an application and how the metals and certain build-ups would be detrimental to the overall "purity" of the water (even if the source water is absolutely pristine).

A lot going on here.

Food for thought.