PDA

View Full Version : Corals placement

canadianeh
03/23/2017, 08:22 AM
I always have this thinking on the back of my head. How do one person place their all kinds of corals on their rocks and make sure they don't kill each other? In mature tanks, many of them have their rocks all covered with all kinds of rocks and they are very close to each other or touching each other.

What rules that I need to use before I affix LPS, SPS, and all of other corals onto my rocks? I only have a 40 gallons tank so space is precious and I want my rocks fully covered with all type of corals.

Optionman
03/23/2017, 08:25 AM
research your corals. some sting others, some don't. leave plenty of room in between corals to account for future growth.

thegrun
03/23/2017, 10:09 AM
In mature tanks with a lot of coral there are constant battles going on between different corals as they try to compete for space, light and food. Giving corals room to grow will provide time before these battles start, but assuming natural growth eventually even in a tank with just a few well spaced corals inter coral warfare will take place. Running carbon 24/7 will help remove some of the chemical toxins that some corals use as a means of attacking their neighbors. Try to learn which corals are the more aggressive and use that understanding in your coral placement, but I am on occasion still surprised as to which individual coral will win a one on one battle.

rajilnaja
03/23/2017, 10:46 AM
Yeah some of it is trial and error. Thought for sure my rock flower nem would kill Xenia...Nope they are touching each other for months now. Same thing with a large bubble and an elegance coral. Then on the other hand I placed some acans near the nem and it high tailed it to the other side of the rock until I moved them.:crazy1: