PDA

View Full Version : Removing a rim to create a rimless tank

CrayolaViolence
03/23/2017, 09:29 AM
I have two mainland 20 longs and was curious to know if anyone has ever removed the rim off of one and turned it into a rimless. I have never used either tank and thought it might be cool to modify one into a rimless but I was unsure if the glass was thick enough or if the rim could be removed relatively easy or not.

Would love to hear from others. Thanks

Aquacraze
03/23/2017, 09:37 AM
It's easy to remove but Idk if the glass is thick enough to be structurally sound. It may need a center brace.
If you do try this be very careful cause the glass chips very easy. Use lots and lots of new razor blades

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Brieninsac
03/23/2017, 09:45 AM
IDK, I think the rim is on there to offer additional support, probably due to the glass thickness. Taking it off for aesthetics sounds risky to me.

CrayolaViolence
03/23/2017, 10:36 AM
After doing some searching it appears the risk factor is just too great. bummer...but that's okay too. I guess I'll keep the tank around for some other project.

mcgyvr
03/23/2017, 10:47 AM
Never remove the "trim/rim" from a tank like that unless you do something to accommodate for that loss of structural strength (eurobracing,etc..) or unless you like waking up to water all over the floor.. :)
That trim is 100% there for a structural and aesthetic reason..

Bagabaga
03/23/2017, 01:13 PM
It's definitely there to keep he seams from splitting. Also in a recent dismantling of a 10 gallon for just the glass I chipped and broke most of the panes attempting to remove the trim. The bottom was the easiest and the top is where I ran into problems and used a hacksaw blade to saw through the corners after and attempt at cutting the silicone and pulling on the corner caused a pane to crack all the way across.

tc2007
03/24/2017, 07:33 PM
Rimless tanks have thicker glass panes (and stronger adhesive I would guess).

abrooks12376
03/24/2017, 07:40 PM
*do not*
......that is all.....

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk

ReefAlex
04/18/2017, 03:35 PM
My situation is a 40 gallon breeder I just bought and removed the rim I sanded and painted 4 coats of white High Gloss Rustoleum on the bottom and sides but wanted to Eurobrace. How so I Brace and how wide? what size thickness 1/2"? long sides first? the 2 or 3 short pieces on top? and how wide?
I called Aqueon and on the 50 Gallon same dims there is a center brace on the black rim on the 40 Gallon like my new one there is No Center Brace. Should I do a Center Brace or will just reflect the light up??? Kevin1illescas@yahoo.com 847 682 7022

aaronwitt
04/18/2017, 05:57 PM
Yeah I would just pay the money for a decent rimless 20g. It's worth the money IMO

ca1ore
04/19/2017, 03:01 PM
The plastic rim plays no structural role unless it has a cross brace. Otherwise it does nothing for panel bowing. None of my 20L tanks have a cross brace. Of course, you could damage the tank trying to remove the rim.