PDA

View Full Version : Experience with Dr. G's Antiparasitic Caviar Food

foozed
03/23/2017, 03:08 PM
We have had fish in a QT for 5 weeks. Have treated with PraziPro and Paraguard over this period. The six line was acting funny at the end of the 2nd PraziPro treatment but a WC fixed him right up. We were very hesitant to do copper so we did some research and came across chloroquine phosphate to prophlaytically treat ich and velvet...hard to get pharmaceutical grade but in research found Dr. G's Antiparasitic caviar food (caviar soaked in CP). Comments I've seen in other threads show mixed results of people that love it and people that hate it...but the negative reviews are mainly bc their fish won't eat it.

Here's the question for the forum...our fish will eat it and have eaten it for the last 2 days. Day 1 was fine, but this afternoon the six line is hiding and won't come out, even when we fed the other brine shrimp (stopped the Dr. G's due to our concerns).

Would love to hear experiences with Dr.G's and/or chloroquine phosphate...we really don't want to do copper prophlaytically.

foozed
03/23/2017, 07:03 PM
I don't think the wrasse will make it...

foozed
03/24/2017, 08:24 AM
Very sad day, wrasse didn't make it. Horrible experience and I WILL NOT USE DR G's! He was completely healthy and after 2 meals, he's gone!

foozed
03/24/2017, 01:14 PM
The clowns seem to still be reacting poorly. Their behavior is abnormal, they usually swim mid-to high in the tank and are very excited about meals. Today they are hanging out more at the bottom, not interested in food (brine), and are doing a twitching like movement.

Any ideas? We've done 2 - 20% water changes. One last night and one this morning. But if our assumption is correct and the food is to blame...then it's in their system.

Has anyone had the same negative experience with this product? How long does it take for something they consumed to leave their system?

Our fish were so healthy...devastating.

CrayolaViolence
03/24/2017, 06:39 PM
Doesn't Dr. G's have chloroquine phosphate in it? And aren't there several warnings about using CP with wrasse?

More than likely it's not the food---rather the death of parasites destroying tissue. No matter the medication if the infestation is bad enough it can potentially cause enough damage to the tissue of the animal that it dies any how.

foozed
03/24/2017, 08:03 PM
You're correct, but much that we've read says wrasses are sensitive to CP and Copper and Prazi and...well most everything. :-/

We shared your thoughts, was the wrasse just not well...? He wasn't doing well during the last Prazi dose but most certainly got better. Was doing great for a week before we tried this food and then a day later dead...just seems suspect.

Would say maybe just not good for wrasses...but our clowns aren't doing well either. They're getting better but they've been lethargic and not eating for the last 36 hours. Hardier fish. But still worried about them given their dramatic decline in such a short period of time.

CrayolaViolence
03/25/2017, 02:10 AM
You're correct, but much that we've read says wrasses are sensitive to CP and Copper and Prazi and...well most everything. :-/

We shared your thoughts, was the wrasse just not well...? He wasn't doing well during the last Prazi dose but most certainly got better. Was doing great for a week before we tried this food and then a day later dead...just seems suspect.

Would say maybe just not good for wrasses...but our clowns aren't doing well either. They're getting better but they've been lethargic and not eating for the last 36 hours. Hardier fish. But still worried about them given their dramatic decline in such a short period of time.

I don't know what to tell you. But I definitely would not make such a drastic conclusion until there is a lot more evidence to support the theory. Mostly because you might be doing yourself a disservice. I know I've thought about using this food and haven't. I've heard good things about it, but haven't bought any as of yet.

foozed
03/25/2017, 04:51 PM
We're about to lose a clown too. May be a drastic conclusion but it's the only element that changed between fish doing well and then fish dying. So a correct or incorrect conclusion, the food is going in the trash.

ca1ore
03/28/2017, 01:56 PM
Not sure why you'd want to use the caviar food in QT? It's really 'designed' to treat ich in the display where you cannot broadcast dose meds. I tried it in my display a few years ago and found it to be ineffective, though it did not kill any of my fish. A better option in QT would be ich shield, though I have found wrasses to be more sensitive to CP than to cupramine.