PDA

View Full Version : Updating Apex Classic w/Black Labels

BZOFIQ
03/23/2017, 07:40 PM
I have what is now known as APEX classic all with black labels. Is it possible to update this to the latest fusion firmware? Is there a special route of updating base then module etc or vice versa, any special considerations. I am a firm believer in if it aint broke don't fix it but would like to see the new interface in action with a full touch screen tablet.

If too many risks or not a recommended route do let me know as well.

Thanks.

Breadman03
03/23/2017, 09:24 PM
I doubt you'll have an issue, just make sure that you are hard-wired to the internet and make sure you've backed up your program.

Oh, and budget a half day or more. It only takes me like 15 minutes to do an update, but it never hurts to have extra time. :)

kurt_n
03/23/2017, 10:54 PM
Just follow the instructions here...

https://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware/

... and you'll be fine. Black label versus orange/white label is no difference. I just updated a black label from 4.20 to 4.51.

What firmware are you coming from?

BZOFIQ
03/24/2017, 07:39 AM
HW Type HW Rev SW Rev Addr Name
Display module 001 009(OK) 001 Disp_1
Display module 001 009(OK) 002 Disp_2
EB8 module 001 010(OK) 003 EB8_3
EB4 module 001 010(OK) 004 EB4_4
Adv Leak Device 001 005(OK) 005 ALD_5

AquaController version 4.20_1B13

BZOFIQ
03/24/2017, 07:42 AM
Controller is pre-wired, I am accessing it remotely too via port forwarding.

Should I somehow update the modules first then the aquacontroller? In other words, is there a preferred order?

BTW, I dont have 2 display modules, I just am not sure which one to remove; or should I unplug it, remove both and plug it back in after restarting.

BZOFIQ
03/24/2017, 07:56 AM
Just follow the instructions here...

https://www.neptunesystems.com/firmware/

... and you'll be fine. Black label versus orange/white label is no difference. I just updated a black label from 4.20 to 4.51.

What firmware are you coming from?

That link pretty much explains it all. In upgrading from 4.20, which is my "current" version to 4.51 did you follow instructions at link or did you have to do anything different because of relatively old firmware.

In addition, and most important, has it been stable since your update. The apex I bougth probably 5 years ago or so has been absolutely stable, I restart it every 6 months just for the heck of it but it never froze or had other issues whatsoever. I'd like to keep it that way.

BZOFIQ
03/24/2017, 07:58 AM
...Oh, and budget a half day or more. It only takes me like 15 minutes to do an update, but it never hurts to have extra time. :)

I'll time it to see how long it takes; I dont think I have half a day but judging by instructions provided at link above shouldn't take more than half an hour.

Breadman03
03/24/2017, 12:23 PM
I'll time it to see how long it takes; I dont think I have half a day but judging by instructions provided at link above shouldn't take more than half an hour.

I just like to leave plenty of "what if" time afterward.

Stolireef
03/24/2017, 03:43 PM
Took me about 20 minutes doing the same thing.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

Stolireef
03/24/2017, 03:44 PM
Oh and Fusion is so worth it.

Sent from my SM-G935V using Tapatalk

kurt_n
03/24/2017, 11:35 PM
That link pretty much explains it all. In upgrading from 4.20, which is my "current" version to 4.51 did you follow instructions at link or did you have to do anything different because of relatively old firmware.

Nothing different is required. Update the firmware first, then update the modules if the module setup screen doesn't say they're "OK".

In addition, and most important, has it been stable since your update. The apex I bougth probably 5 years ago or so has been absolutely stable, I restart it every 6 months just for the heck of it but it never froze or had other issues whatsoever. I'd like to keep it that way.

Totally stable since the update. I thought my 4.20 was stable, but it did have a few quirks. I chalked it up to browser incompatibility and my wireless adapter getting old. After the update, no browser issues and I'm always connected even through the wireless adapter. Obviously there were some network improvements between 4.20 and 4.51.

Full disclosure though...

My original black-label Apex that I bought in mid-2010 needed repair after about two years. I sent it in, bought another base unit, and installed it while the old one was being repaired. I'd been running that "new" base unit for 3-1/2 years before I decided to update the firmware, just last month. The firmware update wouldn't take, and it was determined that the thing wouldn't go into bootloader mode due to a known bug that was in a few units using the old firmware. I sent *that* one in for repair and installed my original repaired "black-label" unit (which was at 4.20), then went through the firmware update on that one. It went flawlessly. Took about 30 minutes total to update it and the modules, and reload my saved off programming.

I've always had my Apex set up for outside access using port forwarding, etc... so I've never had the need for Fusion. But with the new "heartbeat" function in Fusion, I finally jumped on board. Glad I did.

BZOFIQ
03/25/2017, 05:12 PM
thanks guys, lets get to it.

BZOFIQ
03/25/2017, 05:54 PM
The whole process was maybe 5 minutes...it took me more time to restore apex to default ports username and psw with few restarts in between, current versions, onto checking new features.

AquaController Version
4.51_2E17
Dashboard Version 4.51_2E17

BZOFIQ
03/25/2017, 06:01 PM
Modules updated, I was able to figure out which one was the phantom display module and removed that as well. ALL OK NOW

HW Type HW Rev SW Rev Addr Name
Display module 001 011(OK) 002 Disp_2
EB8 module 001 010(OK) 003 EB8_3
EB4 module 001 010(OK) 004 EB4_4
Adv Leak Device 001 007(OK) 005 ALD_5

For everybody involved, thank you much!

For those who haven't updated; have no fear, just follow directions at link above.

BZOFIQ
03/25/2017, 06:19 PM
...ok, and the problems start!

Programming works and all settings have been retained but in order to link the apex to fusion it says

1. Choose 'Link to Fusion' on your Apex dashboard; you'll be provided with a token.
2. Within 10 minutes, enter that token here to link your Apex to Fusion.
3. There is no step 3.

Problem is when I go to the dashboard, nothing is shown! What gives?!?

BZOFIQ
03/25/2017, 06:25 PM
Ooofa, no panic.

Clearing the cache fixed it; all linked now. :headwallblue: People, follow those darn directions to the very end! :lmao: