PDA

View Full Version : all new apex modules will be the new plastic yes?

Devaji108
03/24/2017, 01:05 PM
OK long story short I am in the market for a controller.
I think I have it down to 2 choices...

so my question is and I think i know the answer is:
all now modules are going to come in the gray plastic correct?

I am having a hell of time getting past that, I think it look like a cheap toy. I know it probably silly but one reason why I am leaning tordws the "classic"

however If i go apex I want to FMM module to do ATO and ATO res optic sensors but then I will have a plastic module next to my good looking apex.

1st world problems I know....I just really really dont like the look of the new apex.

vhuang168
03/24/2017, 01:34 PM
Yes.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Breadman03
03/24/2017, 04:07 PM
Put it in a cabinet, mounted out of sight.

thabizness
03/24/2017, 05:38 PM
Mine is in a cabinet. Mounted behind smoke glass doors. Why go for the classic and miss out on new functions/features because of looks?

Looks as professional as u make it.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/6f25f09baf3029be884b03dfca781fb1.jpg

thabizness
03/24/2017, 05:43 PM
[QUOTE=thabizness;25018502]Mine is in a cabinet. Mounted behind smoke glass doors. Why go for the classic and miss out on new functions/features because of looks?

Looks as professional as u make it

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170324/bb07da7c714c32ed4dc9df1eb5c3661e.jpg

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Devaji108
03/24/2017, 10:11 PM
^ nice! is the the ikea stand? was thinking of doing that too.
to answer your question, well the coast for one I can pick up a used classic for alot less get the new FMK and optic sensors and web cam..

granted I am new to the apex fan club but really don't see the value of the new units. sure there are a few more ports on the eb832 and built in wifi but my tank is right next where the net comes it to the house anyway so I dont mind hard wired.

thabizness
03/25/2017, 07:38 AM
Yep its the ikea stand. I recently updated to the new apex. I know sooner or later they will move foward and leave the classic behind technology wise. Right now there is not a lot of differences but i feel it coming.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G935A using Tapatalk

Devaji108
03/25/2017, 08:10 AM
can you give me a link or part 3 to that stand I like it alot this is the secod time I have seen it used for apex mounting but looked on ikea last night cant seem to find it.

well they say all new mods will work with the classic for years to come. is this true or not?
maybe a apex rep will be able to help us out.

LefkoNJ
03/25/2017, 08:28 AM
I like some of the nice pieces of the new devices but my concern is all the failures I have been reading about. Has Neptune solved those? Unless I hear that as a definitive yes, I would go classic. My biggest concern as a classic owner is when they will stop supporting them. I will be forced to buy a new one and can't just get the main unit have to buy a bundle...

slief
03/25/2017, 09:32 PM
I like some of the nice pieces of the new devices but my concern is all the failures I have been reading about. Has Neptune solved those? Unless I hear that as a definitive yes, I would go classic. My biggest concern as a classic owner is when they will stop supporting them. I will be forced to buy a new one and can't just get the main unit have to buy a bundle...

The initial issues were resolved long ago. I've installed a few Apex 2016's and all have been solid with no issues at all and have been up for several months now.

jason2459
03/26/2017, 05:38 PM
I just posted this in another thread and FWIW I hard wire everything into my network still. More reliable and the apex if the hardwire fails for some reason will automatically jump on the wireless if configured already.

Copy/paste:

I recently switched from classic to 2016. I wish I did it sooner.

The ability to pretty much do everything through fusion is awesome. I can now control and configure all the Inputs and Modules in fusion which I could not do before. I don't have to setup port forwarding anymore exposing my Apex to the world.

The EB832 is awesome. I had some complaints about it before and now having one those complaints have vanished. I have 2 EBs in my basement sump area and were completely filled. With the EB832 I was able to replace a couple old mj1200s with 2 pmups and plug them into the dc24v ports using the internal power supply for them. I have since filled up those 2 opened up ports and looking to replace a couple other used ports and utilize the otger two 24v DC ports. That's big as otherwise I would have to get another EB.

Then the ability to monitor Watts used on each port is HUGE and most people don't even realize it. The watts used can tell you if your pump is flowing less because if the watts go down means the pump is under more pressure. This seems to be more dramatic with AC pumps. So, you can setup alerts on min and max watts used. You hit the min level and you may want to inspect or clean the pump. I can see this on my gyres. Normally with the cover sleeves on they are pulling 48 watts. When they get build up on them their watts used drops and I know I need to clean their cover sleeves. Or if its a return pump clean it out or maybe there's a blockage in the pipe. Thats with out using their new flow monitor.

Also, what is huge to me avout the watts used is control of other outlets based on it. Say, you normally have to shutdown your skimmer when return pump is off. All you had before was

If outlet return = off then off

But lets say that the return pump fails. The outlet is still on and now the skimmer is still running and turning into a volcano (I would suggest a high switch too).

But with watts used you can now

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output vSumpHigh_A7 = ON Then OFF
If Output ReturnPump = Off Then Off
If Output ReturnPump Watts < 100 Then OFF
If Output vLockerF_A3 = ON Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON

And setting up alerts is really easy on the Inputs section. I setup an alert on every input. Even amps on outlets not being used so I don't forget. I set amps max alert for 6amps.

There's more but those are my highlights I like most about the 2016 Apex

Well I have been reading it is buggy that's why I am looking for advice....
It had some when it first came out (not all of them) and probably the first couple months.

I held off myself and have no reservations in recommending them now.

jason2459
03/26/2017, 05:58 PM
And for looks I'm not a huge fan of the colors but they are growing on me or at least not terrible anymore.

Not that I'm to concerned or have any kind of organizational skills like others have. This is about the best I can do

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170326/acad23e113a6cabeb92cb0a25b0b12d0.jpg

And I've got a few more modules added since that picture and I think another one since this picture
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170326/343f25a6d045fa305af30294dd99761e.jpg

And I really like the design of the new base unit how it can swing out
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170327/38d4cf2756733edede4637ab90c5706a.jpg

thabizness
03/28/2017, 09:45 AM
Jason you just gave me an answer to a question I have been trying to figure out for ages!!!!!! :bounce3: You are my personal hero for today! :bounce3:

I use a Apex2016 but I use Reeflink to control my MP40's, Vectra, and Radions (I don't want to get into a WXM vs Reeflink war. Another thread maybe) One of my biggest problems with this setup is the reeflink devices can't talk to the apex devices. I don't like to cut power to the Vectra outlet via apex because sometimes it doesn't come back online properly. I have to remember to cut the skimmer power in the Apex when I cut Vectra power in reeflink or hand controller which is a pain. If I cut off the vectra or put into feed mode that way there is no way for the skimmer to know to cut off and a volcano occurs as you said. I have tried a float switch but that didn't work as good as I expected it too.

BUTTTTTTTTTTTTT......

I can use the watts readout on the Vectra and/or MP40's to tell the skimmer to turn off AND trigger the Apex auto feeder resulting in a single button feed mode again. I just checked my Watts graph on the vectra and mp40's and I can see the watts reduction when I turn off the vectra or mp40s from the hand controller or feed mode in ESL.

GENIUS!

Can't wait to get home to program this.

I just posted this in another thread and FWIW I hard wire everything into my network still. More reliable and the apex if the hardwire fails for some reason will automatically jump on the wireless if configured already.

Copy/paste:

I recently switched from classic to 2016. I wish I did it sooner.

The ability to pretty much do everything through fusion is awesome. I can now control and configure all the Inputs and Modules in fusion which I could not do before. I don't have to setup port forwarding anymore exposing my Apex to the world.

The EB832 is awesome. I had some complaints about it before and now having one those complaints have vanished. I have 2 EBs in my basement sump area and were completely filled. With the EB832 I was able to replace a couple old mj1200s with 2 pmups and plug them into the dc24v ports using the internal power supply for them. I have since filled up those 2 opened up ports and looking to replace a couple other used ports and utilize the otger two 24v DC ports. That's big as otherwise I would have to get another EB.

Then the ability to monitor Watts used on each port is HUGE and most people don't even realize it. The watts used can tell you if your pump is flowing less because if the watts go down means the pump is under more pressure. This seems to be more dramatic with AC pumps. So, you can setup alerts on min and max watts used. You hit the min level and you may want to inspect or clean the pump. I can see this on my gyres. Normally with the cover sleeves on they are pulling 48 watts. When they get build up on them their watts used drops and I know I need to clean their cover sleeves. Or if its a return pump clean it out or maybe there's a blockage in the pipe. Thats with out using their new flow monitor.

Also, what is huge to me avout the watts used is control of other outlets based on it. Say, you normally have to shutdown your skimmer when return pump is off. All you had before was

If outlet return = off then off

But lets say that the return pump fails. The outlet is still on and now the skimmer is still running and turning into a volcano (I would suggest a high switch too).

But with watts used you can now

Fallback OFF
Set ON
If Output vSumpHigh_A7 = ON Then OFF
If Output ReturnPump = Off Then Off
If Output ReturnPump Watts < 100 Then OFF
If Output vLockerF_A3 = ON Then OFF
Defer 002:00 Then ON

And setting up alerts is really easy on the Inputs section. I setup an alert on every input. Even amps on outlets not being used so I don't forget. I set amps max alert for 6amps.

There's more but those are my highlights I like most about the 2016 Apex

It had some when it first came out (not all of them) and probably the first couple months.

I held off myself and have no reservations in recommending them now.

Devaji108
03/31/2017, 11:05 AM
thanks for the info. I am still debating... between classic and 2016.
every time I think i have made up my mind I keep going back and forth.

wmo168
06/09/2017, 08:12 AM
Classic you can get it cheap,... the 2016 is almost $700 vs $350-400 for a classic