PDA

View Full Version : Kole tang acting strange in fish store

AnnaCassandra
03/24/2017, 02:12 PM
I recently upgraded to a 90 gal tank and would like to get a kole tang, they have one for sale at the LFS but he was acting really strange. At first he was kind of hiding on the side of one of the rocks but then he started darting frantically all over the tank back and forth between his spot by this rock and one of the corners. The guy at the LFS tried to feed him some frozen shrimp but he didn't seem interested in it at all. They offered to put the fish on hold for me so I did, but what's the deal? Is this fish a dud or was he just having a bad day? He seemed otherwise healthy and I know this particular store keeps their fish in the back for QT before putting them out for sale. He was the only one in the tank no other fishes or inverts in with him.

BigBlueTang
03/24/2017, 02:34 PM
Bad idea. I'd wait. Do you have a quarantine tank? If you do, maybe think about buying the fish. It's almost certainly sick with something, and if it's not eating... Tough to say. Tangs are crypto magnets.

Contrary to popular belief, LFS do not quarantine properly. It's not in their best interest, as it takes lots of patience and you have to be very careful. They may treat clearly sick fish, but all of their QT'd fish are not 100% healthy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

AnnaCassandra
03/24/2017, 02:51 PM
I do have a 30 gal that I can use as a QT tank, we are just in the process of moving everyone out. Do you think there's a chance the LFS would figure out what's wrong with him and treat him there and I can pick him up when he's better? or is that not a thing they do?

BigBlueTang
03/24/2017, 04:41 PM
I do have a 30 gal that I can use as a QT tank, we are just in the process of moving everyone out. Do you think there's a chance the LFS would figure out what's wrong with him and treat him there and I can pick him up when he's better? or is that not a thing they do?

Doubtful. Again, it's not in their best interest. I would wait if I were you, nothing good ever happens fast in this hobby. Take it slow :)

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

ca1ore
03/25/2017, 08:14 PM
Definately do not buy a fish that is behaving strangely.

scooter31707
03/27/2017, 11:02 AM
I agree, but I have brought a Tomini Tang that was the same way. I took it home and proceed with my quarantine procedures. It took about 3-4 days for it to start eating and after a week it stopped the crazy swimming. I assume it was not really comfortable with people approaching the tank.