PDA

View Full Version : First tank, new to the hobby

Jchamb26
03/24/2017, 09:33 PM
This is my first tank. I welcome all constructive criticism and critique.

65 Gallon

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/b918c3117bc3c1ccb6e57c4664ac566d.jpg

Kessil A350 lights x2

Eshopps RS200 Sump

Reed Octopus XP1000SSS cone skimmer

Aqueon 50 Vera Top covers

D.C. Main return pump

Aqua UV 15W UV Sterilizer.

About 4 bags of Agra live sand medium grain

Tons of dry rock

Etc

I plan I starting slowly with the help of a friend and getting the tank cycled... adding fish one by one since they will have the most bioload before I start adding corals. Not expecting this process to be compete for over a year or so. Plans for fish would be clowns, regal tang, yellow tang, magnificent fox face, gobies, fire shrimp and various other inverts, etc.

Thoughts?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Jboone82590
03/24/2017, 10:02 PM
That seems like a lot of tangs for a 65 gallon.
Great tank tho. I love the kessils.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Jboone82590
03/24/2017, 10:03 PM
This is my first tank. I welcome all constructive criticism and critique.

65 Gallon

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170325/b918c3117bc3c1ccb6e57c4664ac566d.jpg

Kessil A350 lights x2

Eshopps RS200 Sump

Reed Octopus XP1000SSS cone skimmer

Aqueon 50 Vera Top covers

D.C. Main return pump

Aqua UV 15W UV Sterilizer.

About 4 bags of Agra live sand medium grain

Tons of dry rock

Etc

I plan I starting slowly with the help of a friend and getting the tank cycled... adding fish one by one since they will have the most bioload before I start adding corals. Not expecting this process to be compete for over a year or so. Plans for fish would be clowns, regal tang, yellow tang, magnificent fox face, gobies, fire shrimp and various other inverts, etc.

Thoughts?

Don't forget a heater and maybe look into getting a tank controller also.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G890A using Tapatalk

Darthv247
03/25/2017, 04:06 AM
dunno if i would use any glass lids on a reef tank. open or screened in top will allow more air exchange on the surface. Like previously mentioned i would add less or no tangs at all. they are not only aggressive towards each other, but they can get very large. You will definately need a larger tank for them in the future. they really like long tanks they can swim around in more.

Mashaw
03/25/2017, 11:49 PM
Only bit of advice i would give atm is make sure your tank does a cycle, iv seen to many newbies come in without a cycle and load there tanks full of corals and fsh then bam, all dead due to a crash

JUNBUG361
03/26/2017, 11:38 AM
Hello & welcome. Did you or your wife decorate the room looks good except for a black fish tank in the corner.(J.K):jester: looks good & looking forward to your build

MuShu
03/26/2017, 02:17 PM
Magnificent foxfaces also require a much larger tank.

Before you start or get any further in the process, I would figure out your must-have fish. If you must have the tangs and foxfaces, then I would suggest getting a larger tank right off the bat. If you really are limited to a 65gal, there are a large variety of smaller fish that would thrive in a tank that size.

Jchamb26
03/26/2017, 07:32 PM
Will definitely be cycling the tank with sand and LR and an extra dose of patience. I've seen tangs in smaller tanks when young and moved to a larger aquarium as they mature a year or two down the road.

Really the "must haves" are clown fish for my little boy. Honestly I'm almost more excited about the coral once I get the fish load under control, adding them one at a time... again with an extra dose of patience... but I'm interested to hear any and all suggestions for fish you guys have for a tank of this size.

Corals I'd love to have down the road are bubble tips, different mushrooms, etc.

thaitopher
03/27/2017, 09:54 AM
Bubble tips are actually anenomes, not corals. I would definitely purchase that last after your lps corals. Just to be on the safe side, I would add fish after a month and wait at least 6 months before adding corals or anemones. Start with lps coral first like frogspawn or other easy to care for corals. Once you master that then move to something more challenging. I only have 1 fish I'm my 20 gallon so for a 40 gallon I probably wouldn't put in more than 5 fish.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337Z using Tapatalk

MuShu
03/27/2017, 05:13 PM
Look into zebra dartfish, flasher wrasses, Potter's angel (or any of the dwarf angels), a firefish, basslets, and if you are feeling frisky- a toby puffer (they may or may not go after your cuc.)

I know that my kids get pretty attached to fish, so even if the plan is to keep a tang for a year or so, the kid may have other ideas. A good cuc should take care of the unwanted algae without the need for an herbivore.

Duncans and hammers are pretty good corals. Zoas are nice and can add quite a bit of color. Pulsing xenia and green star polyps are practically indestructible, and would be best if you can isolate them on their own islands because they grow fast.

Devaji108
03/27/2017, 05:53 PM
Hello and welcome,
its a great hobby more of a life style really. some great advice given here.
for fish I would really just skip the tang, i know it sucks but with a 65 better dont.
there are lots of fun fish you can have tho. some of my fav. are wrasses there is a great thread on here all about mixing them. worth looking into.

cycling a tank really dont have to be a hard process. it goes by pretty fast really. even faster if you use LR and or bacteria like Dr, times etc.

what rock are you using? might want to get that sorted out as some require a acid bath like BRS pukani. there is also man made rock that looks great to. I have yet to use it there are a few brands out. one good benefit of dry rock is to can take your time and create the scape you want outside the tank then add it.

anyway good luck and happy reefing!

Darthv247
03/27/2017, 06:35 PM
royal gramma is one of my favorite smaller fish. very hardy, colorful, and interesting behaviors. I will never get another dwarf angel fish because i love clams and they always pick at clams and or corals eventually. Lawnmower blennies are good fish that help eat algae like the tangs in a smaller package. can only have one though or they will kill each other. Would not add most damsels either. Definately the smaller clown fish will be great additions. plain jane nemo version is still my fav clown. get 2 clowns, aim for one slightly larger than the other and the larger will become/be the female.

Devaji108
03/28/2017, 08:35 AM
yeah I agree on the royal gramma beautiful fish and not expensive.

LX20000
03/28/2017, 09:05 AM
Once you think your tank has cycled, pop in 3ml of 10% ammonia from ACE hardware, and watch the tank munch that up. Should be gone in 24 hours. If not, you are not cycled hard enough.

Always makes me sad to see tangs in a little tank. But to each their own.