PDA

View Full Version : Gaping Squamosa Spawning

ca1ore
03/25/2017, 08:23 PM
During a recent business one of my dwarf Angels decided that my large squamosa was delicious. Being away, I was unable to intervene. By the time I got home it was very stressed. I've moved it to my nipping-victim refugium that is lit as the display. Clam is very unhappy and gaping; it's also spawning. Anyone have this happen? Last actions of a dying clam?

ca1ore
03/26/2017, 10:09 PM
Turns out spawning was the last action of a now dead clam. Had it for 4 years, grew it from 4 to 15". Man this thing went downhill fast. Bummer.

jda
03/27/2017, 11:10 AM
That is pretty common. Sorry to hear about this. I had a 10" (hard to tell) blue teardrop that spawned one day and was dead within a week - maybe old age? I had it for more than a decade.

I hope that the angefish was not a joculator or interruptus.

ca1ore
03/27/2017, 03:05 PM
I'm not even sure it was the angels (dwarves all). Only had it for 4 years, so def not old age (unlike me). Weird. Had it get nipped in the past, but a holiday in the 'fuge generally did the trick.

jda
03/28/2017, 04:52 PM
I wonder how long that they live? I know that people have gone more than a decade, but I am still curious. Usually they get easier to keep as they get older - you know that I am in no way a fan of your LEDs for most acropora, but I cannot see how these would be an issue for a large Squammy. Are these the only things that you have changed? I think that you just have to chalk this up to "oh well."

ca1ore
03/30/2017, 01:58 PM
Right, I would agree.

I seem to recall reading that the really large clams (gigas, maybe deresa) have very long lifetimes. I did a dive one time where we saw 4' gigas clams that the boat owner claimed had been there since he was a kid .... and he was in his late 60's.

Docdiggy
04/12/2017, 11:45 AM
I just lost my Deresa I had for 2 years and grew quite large. It started spawning then gaping the next day. I ended up taking it out. No idea why, but depressed me for the day. All other corals were fine so I don't think it was a parameter issue. I hate getting attached to stuff like that. LOl