PDA

View Full Version : Those who run T5 lighting

gmlee
03/27/2017, 12:31 AM
Other than hanging them , which is not an option for me, how do u keep your reflectors clean?
Doesn't seem no matter how high end or how good the reflector is they don't wipe clean and get spotty. As far as covers they cut down too much lighting. I used to run them years ago on my 72 and they were nothing but a headache. Now that I downsized I can put LED lighting but would like to eliminate the shadowing.

jayball
03/27/2017, 08:09 AM
Wax it, may need reapplication every 6-months to a year.

"Effect of a Reflector on Light Intensity
Immediately apparent is the fact that a quality reflector can focus light into an aquarium. To judge the effects, a small parabolic, polished aluminum reflector especially designed for T5 lamps was clipped onto an Actinic White tube. PAR measurements were made before and after the installation. A 'good' reflector can efficiently focus light energy towards a target, while one poorly designed or installed is potentially of less use. Also consider that saltwater is corrosive to aluminum, hence one should take care to protect the reflector from salt spray via use of a glass or acrylic shield, or by waxing the aluminum with a quality car wax (or, preferably, both). See Figure 16 for an idea of how a reflector can focus radiation."

http://www.advancedaquarist.com/2009/3/review

gmlee
03/27/2017, 09:09 AM
Thank u. I do remember years ago putting something on the reflectors but I think it was to try and remove the spots from splashing. Been so long ago. Unfortunately with my small tank size I can't do both LED and T5's separately. Maybe a need more of a cube type tank where I can just focus my LED in.

jda
03/27/2017, 10:45 AM
It is just part of normal maintenance. I just do it once or twice a year with some RO on a towel and never try and get them perfect. You can put an acrylic or glass cover on the fixture, but that needs cleaned too.

You can do my by making sure that you aren't dancing bubbles out of your tank.

wildman926
03/27/2017, 01:47 PM
Other than hanging them , which is not an option for me, how do u keep your reflectors clean?
Doesn't seem no matter how high end or how good the reflector is they don't wipe clean and get spotty. As far as covers they cut down too much lighting. I used to run them years ago on my 72 and they were nothing but a headache. Now that I downsized I can put LED lighting but would like to eliminate the shadowing.

This is why I still use glass covers. I just clean them when I notice they are dirty, about once every 3-4 months. It does not affect growth or color...

http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/New%20150g/20170318_192953_zpsbmwdtw7w.jpg
http://i150.photobucket.com/albums/s86/wildman926/Aquariums/New%2090G/20170318_193007_001_zps9kwdxegu.jpg

gmlee
03/27/2017, 02:05 PM
As far as I remember there not glass covers but acrylic I think. It's also hard to not have little dancing bubbles from surface agitation not too mention splashes from fish.

canadianeh
03/27/2017, 02:06 PM
my ATI T5 Sunpower comes with acrylic cover that is removable

wildman926
03/27/2017, 02:10 PM
As far as I remember there not glass covers but acrylic I think. It's also hard to not have little dancing bubbles from surface agitation not too mention splashes from fish.

No, I run glass covers on my tanks. That is how I am able to have my lights directly on the tanks. Again, it does not affect growth, coloring, etc., obviously.

gmlee
03/27/2017, 04:17 PM
Of course it wouldnt