PDA

View Full Version : Longnose Butterflyfish Helppppp!! Fins have SPOTS (Picture included)

Angeliic
03/27/2017, 11:45 PM
Hi everyone, i recently purchased a longnose butterflyfish around 2 weeks ago and ive noticed that there are around 7 very faint white spots on its back fin and side fins that come and go every couple of days, one day the fins will be clear of spots and the next day there are faint dots. I want to know if this is normal. The fish appears healthy and is feeding well. Water Parameters are fine as well. 0 Ammonia, 0 Nitrite, 8.2ph etc....

Ive been feeding it mysis shrimp with garlic extract from Continuum Aquatics and dki marine pellets . On occasion i will put a seaweed clip in mainly for the tang and the wrasse as well. Has anybody experienced this and could shed some light on the situation????

Thankssss so muchh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Angeliic
03/27/2017, 11:55 PM
Sorry, I couldn't get a clear picture of him, he swims around to much to get a clear picture.
I feed him marine quintet that includes mysis shrimp btw.

MMacro
03/28/2017, 12:05 AM
Sounds like Cryptocaryon irritans (Ich). You will need to treat all of the fish in the tank in order to get rid of this parasite. Left untreated it can/will be fatal. Treat as soon as possible. Also, I would stop feedingwith garlic as it has been shown to cause health problems in the long run. Start varying up the diet as well with a combination of high quality frozen and pellet foods. Below I have left links to some useful threads on treating this.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985626

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2390640

Angeliic
03/28/2017, 03:47 AM
Sounds like Cryptocaryon irritans (Ich). You will need to treat all of the fish in the tank in order to get rid of this parasite. Left untreated it can/will be fatal. Treat as soon as possible. Also, I would stop feedingwith garlic as it has been shown to cause health problems in the long run. Start varying up the diet as well with a combination of high quality frozen and pellet foods. Below I have left links to some useful threads on treating this.
http://reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1985626

http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2390640

Gawwwwwd, I have had it with this hobby, evry tank i get this happens to me

Angeliic
03/28/2017, 03:47 AM

Thanks anyway for the feedback m8y

CarrieB
03/28/2017, 08:07 AM
Take a video with your phone and then pull stills from it.

Perhaps you should consider quarantining new fish.

Scott07
03/28/2017, 08:25 AM

You're right.... its not an easy hobby by any means. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying, or the challenges just havent caught up with them yet. Remember though, with greater challenge can come much greater reward and appreciation when you are successful. You can find fulfillment in this that just can't be matched doing something that comes easier. And you absolutely can do this if its something you want to be successful at. There is so much help available now, especially with the Internet and great sites like RC.

One thing that I think almost everyone in this hobby will agree on is that doing the extra work up front, ie prevention, is 10x easier than trying to correct a problem later.

Hoping the best for you and your fish!

Angeliic
03/28/2017, 03:27 PM
You're right.... its not an easy hobby by any means. Anyone who tells you otherwise is either lying, or the challenges just havent caught up with them yet. Remember though, with greater challenge can come much greater reward and appreciation when you are successful. You can find fulfillment in this that just can't be matched doing something that comes easier. And you absolutely can do this if its something you want to be successful at. There is so much help available now, especially with the Internet and great sites like RC.

One thing that I think almost everyone in this hobby will agree on is that doing the extra work up front, ie prevention, is 10x easier than trying to correct a problem later.

Hoping the best for you and your fish!

Thank you and yes this is very true. I think its best if I quarantine new fish from now on. The thing that holds me back is that my quarantine tank is only 60 litres, so i only quarantine the small fish like blennies and the firefish etc.

This morning the white spots are completely gone. I'm just worried they would reappear in a few days from now.

Angeliic
03/28/2017, 03:28 PM
Take a video with your phone and then pull stills from it.

Perhaps you should consider quarantining new fish.

Yep, i will do that

kmbyrnes
03/29/2017, 05:23 AM
Sorry for your troubles. Please read the stickies on TTM.
It will do no good to QT new fish if you don't rid your tank and fish of the ich infestation you currently have.
QT was the hardest lesson I had to learn in this hobby. But once learned it will never be forgotten.
Good luck and hang in there!