PDA

View Full Version : Rossmont Waver/Mover

RAMABAMA
03/28/2017, 04:26 PM
I am seriously considering purchasing the Rossmont waver and a couple movers. Anyone have any experience using these? All other thoughts about this product would be appreciated.

gcarroll
03/28/2017, 05:45 PM
I never used them, but I know there was another very experienced pump manufacturer speaking highly of them. They are definitely well built from what I could see. Maybe ksed can share some more info as he has researched them.

ksed
03/28/2017, 07:19 PM
There doesn't seem to be many revyon them but the few that are , speak highly of them. As Greg mentioned they seem well built and come with a good warranty.

d-man
03/28/2017, 07:28 PM
Just wish they were stronger. I need more power!

ksed
03/28/2017, 08:27 PM
4100gph?

RAMABAMA
03/29/2017, 07:00 AM
There doesn't seem to be many revyon them but the few that are , speak highly of them. As Greg mentioned they seem well built and come with a good warranty.

Defiantly looks like a good product, pricing is not bad and the warranty is outstanding. My only reservation with pulling the trigger is I have been burned many times giving new things a chance. I know these have been around for a while but it seems not many people have been using them. Although we all know people not satisfied with a product voice their opinion a lot louder than the ones who are satisfied. So maybe it’s a good sign there is not much feedback. Who knows…

gcarroll
03/29/2017, 09:27 AM
The pumps have been around for a couple years now. I personally think it was a bad idea to market them as AC. I feel they should just call them controllable. For some reason hobbyists are rebelling against AC pumps and they are left with a stigma.

ReefPharmer
03/29/2017, 09:31 AM
The pumps have been around for a couple years now. I personally think it was a bad idea to market them as AC. I feel they should just call them controllable. For some reason hobbyists are rebelling against AC pumps and they are left with a stigma.

I looked at them and still don't quite get how they work. They just are on/off? Basically like a better built koralia?

gcarroll
03/29/2017, 09:42 AM
I looked at them and still don't quite get how they work. They just are on/off? Basically like a better built koralia?No, with the controller, they can ramp up and down just like any DC pump. Without the controller, they work just like any AC pump. confusion like yours my be what has held them back.

Potatohead
03/29/2017, 09:45 AM
FWIW Sicce also is releasing return pumps with controllable AC. It is cheaper and more reliable than DC, hence the reasons for using it.

gcarroll
03/29/2017, 09:50 AM
FWIW Sicce also is releasing return pumps with controllable AC. It is cheaper and more reliable than DC, hence the reasons for using it.Actually they are releasing 2 lines of pumps. One is AC (Sicce ADV) and one is DC (Sicce SDC). The AC is not controllable.
http://sicceus.com/sdc_adv.html

gus6464
03/29/2017, 10:08 AM
I wanted to replace the Sicce on my Vertex Omega with the new SDC skimmer pump but Sicce told me at MACNA that the front housing on the Vertex is custom so it can't be a direct swap :(

Potatohead
03/29/2017, 10:34 AM
Actually they are releasing 2 lines of pumps. One is AC (Sicce ADV) and one is DC (Sicce SDC). The AC is not controllable.
http://sicceus.com/sdc_adv.html

Interesting, I watched a reef builder video where they mentioned controllable AC pumps. Hmm

gcarroll
03/29/2017, 11:47 AM
I wanted to replace the Sicce on my Vertex Omega with the new SDC skimmer pump but Sicce told me at MACNA that the front housing on the Vertex is custom so it can't be a direct swap :(That is one of the reasons, I am opposed to skimmers with pumps in the body. At least the Vertex uses a common Sicce. You can always pick up another motor block. When it's a less common brand you are SOL. Like Skimz and Nyos with the Eden and Deltec with the Aquabee. Just not a fan.

gcarroll
03/29/2017, 11:50 AM
Interesting, I watched a reef builder video where they mentioned controllable AC pumps. HmmBesides that the Rossmont is not comparable because it is a propeller pump. Apples and oranges.

Potatohead
03/29/2017, 11:55 AM
Besides that the Rossmont is not comparable because it is a propeller pump. Apples and oranges.

Was just trying to point out that controllable AC is a viable alternative to DC

ksed
03/29/2017, 09:02 PM
All brushless pumps are AC pumps, unless they run on brushes.Its the way they are being controlled or more commonly used word commutation. You have high voltage or low voltage controllable pumps. DC or controllable pumps offer the advantage of being controlled, but for an example a return pump IMO has limited use for these types of pumps . Hard to beat the reliability and simplicity of a non controllable pump. JMO

Bronx19
03/29/2017, 09:04 PM
If I were starting a new build I would definitely give these a go. They look to be good quality and a fraction of the price of the bog boys. Hopefully they apply some pressure to the market.

ksed
03/29/2017, 09:48 PM
What they need also is better marketing.

peder
03/30/2017, 04:23 AM
I have 2 15200 mover and waver controller, i love Them ;-) very very silent, a lot off power,
Broad flow, and easy programing on my iPad.
I Think here in Europe a lot off reefers are "join the Rossmont Way "

RAMABAMA
03/30/2017, 01:05 PM
I have 2 15200 mover and waver controller, i love Them ;-) very very silent, a lot off power,
Broad flow, and easy programing on my iPad.
I Think here in Europe a lot off reefers are "join the Rossmont Way "

Good to hear, thanks for the feedback!

d-man
03/30/2017, 05:52 PM
4100gph?

Yes, I have a 860g 145" tank. 4100gph won't do it

I have 3 rw20
3 wp 60
2 gyre xf250
And 2 return fluvals sp6

So yes, 4100 is still too little

reefkeeper2
03/30/2017, 09:20 PM
I bought two of them ( don't remember the model number but it was the largest) and found them to be powerful but unfortunately too noisy. I have to place my powerheads on the overflows of my tank because it's viewed from all sides. The vibration was too much and they could be heard whenever they were on. This might not be the case if they are mounted on the side or back of an aquarium. However my Tunzes cannot be heard at all and they are all mounted on the overflows.

malawinovice
04/29/2017, 03:28 AM
Any new rossmont users?

Looking for pair for 120 reef softies and lps.

ksed
04/29/2017, 10:47 AM
I hope to get a pair soon. I here great things about these pumps.

golfish
01/18/2018, 06:03 PM
Not a whole lot of reviews on these pumps. I purchased a Mover MX4100 last week and installed it on Tuesday. I'm using this on my 120gal along with 2 Hydor 3rd Gen 2450gph pumps, all 3 are controlled by the Hydor Smart Wave Pump Controller. The Hydor pumps are dead silent, the new Rossmont pump has a little "knock" when it starts up. I haven't done anything to try and make the knock go away, it just doesn't bother me, yet.

Its a well made pump and comes in a really nice package. It comes with a little collar that concentrates the flow a little better, I think its a 60 degree flow, with out the collar its 120 degree's which is perfect for my 48" tank.

I'll give this pump 4.5 stars out of 5. The flow is outstanding for a 120.00 pump.