PDA

View Full Version : reef cubers bio cube start up...

reef cuber
03/29/2017, 08:17 AM
https://scontent.xx.fbcdn.net/v/t1.0-9/17523204_10207410357691010_1814016804709528708_n.jpg?oh=fdf16b88b96b08309370e70e1e1c1e00&oe=5965235C

Hope that worked!

Greetings! I am one of those folks who missed the hobby and wanted to get back into it but on a smaller scale. The most affordable option was a bio cube so that is what I researched and hubby got me for my birthday. :xlbirthday:

I decided to go with the modification that reefthuz did on his bio tank. He posted his videos 3 yrs ago and I contacted them to see how well the tank was doing. He said it was successful and he just did the same on the new 32 like I have.

The photo above is my 32 light cube.
I originally started with live sand about 1.5" and 11 lbs of live rock.
I changed the filtering in the back to 2, 11.5 in. x 4 in. x 2.5 " sponges, but they are short for the new cubes so I added a coarser sponge under them to give more height.
Added a finer filter media pad on top of the sponges to polish the water.
In addition, I put in a large bag of Matrix media and Matrix round carbon in a smaller bag.
I let it run 4 days and added more live rock (pay day is awesome:bounce3:) The photo above shows the tank with the addition of more live rock. I believe I have almost 30# of it in there. I put the extra live rock in the back with the other media.
I have a heater in the back as well.

Salinity is about 34 (we ordered a Salt refractometer)

After a week the tank is just starting to show a little ammonia and nitrate, ph and the rest of the tests are right on track.

I have added:
2 green crabs (came with live rock)
2 Pom poms (1 came with live rock)
4 blue leg hermits
3 red leg hermits
1 Mexican snail
1 Decorator crab (Spider: female w/eggs though unknown if)
2 Percula clownfish (paired)

I know I was a bit early getting some of the critters and some were unplanned, but I am monitoring the water levels every day.. They are all active and feeding. I am careful to only feed what they need.
There are some corals and other unknown things growing already (came on live rock and are very tiny).

I also saw a tiny starfish that I think may be a chocolate chip (it was soft-bodied and almost blue with spots... unlike the Asterina I also pulled out). I can't find it anymore but I may pull it if I find it again. There are also a couple Volvarina snails that I saw speeding around the tank. and there are a couple dreaded anemone. I got the stuff to kill them tonight. I learned one lesson, to pre-check my stones better. but I won't be adding anymore so once I blast these guys I should be ok.

The leftover live rocks I stuck in the back with the filter media. I will probably pull some of the small extra rocks once the tank is established.

So this is what I have so far. I am open to constructive information!

JUNBUG361
03/30/2017, 10:31 PM
Looks good

reef cuber
05/15/2017, 11:51 AM
Thanks, Junebug..

Well, luck would have it. I didn't do some things in the right order, and I added a fish and coral and everything seemed fine...... I had a small QT I had set up to clean off live rock (peppermint shrimp) but decided to bypass and they went into the tank. Big mistake.

I didn't know that corals also have to be QT'd and needed to be inspected and dipped etc.

I noticed the fish I added (green goby) was not eating, always hiding and rarely came out.. the time I did see it, it was darn skinny. Next day dead........ and the day after that my two clowns got spots (Ick? or velvet?)........ within two days the male was dead and the female a day later. This was my error for sure. I should have QT'd, dipped and done my due diligence.

My tanks have been sitting fishless for 30 days. I had a fish that I paid for my LFS has been holding for me and I need to get him out of there. I was thinking of setting up a bare 10 gal to keep him in for a month and my other tank I think will be ok to add fish too by then. (2 months empty)

If I am wrong, someone please let me know!!

My corals all seem to be doing pretty good. The brain, stunner coral, and a toadstool are all I have at the moment and growing.

I had been trying to go slow but I was trying to skip steps. I have also started to use RO water.

reef cuber
07/19/2017, 08:27 AM
Well , it's July! The tank is pretty well established. I've had significant coraline growth.

I did run into a fish issue early on. I had two clowns that were doing well. and I added a yellow gobie which may have either died or was caught by the big male green crab. He was happily munching away on it. After a couple weeks, I added a green gobie. He did well for a few days and then I realized he was not eating and a couple days later he was dead. My water quality was good. I tested it and took a sample in to my LFS to be tested there. I pulled the dead fish, and noticed that my clowns looked a bit off. And I saw either Ich or velvet starting to show up. I removed them to a QT tank and treated the fish, but neither one made it.

So I let my tanks sit fishless for 2 months. I picked up a blue spot jaw fish and even though I had a lid on the tank, the bugger managed to get out of the tank when we had a really bad storm roll. that was an expensive loss. So I went the cheap route and picked up a blue fin Damselfish and put him in my QT tank. He was there for about 7 weeks and I moved him to my main tank Sunday. I also picked up a Green Wrasse and put him in my QT tank. He'll be staying there for at least 7 wks as well. I am going to go slow when it comes to adding fish!

Mean while..... back at the main tank. I've added a few corals. I have a small green mushroom that travels around the tank. My memory is crap when it comes to remembering my coral names. I'll have to put them in my log book one of these days.
I have an orange plate Montipora that seems to be very happy and growing! A Montipora Digitata, a red blastomussa, and a brain. I have two tiny chunks of coral that got lost in my rocks, but resurfaced. One was lose so I moved it to a better spot and the other attached it'self to a base rock, I moved a rock so it could get light. I am not sure what it is. I also have a toadstool and a small cabbage (though I am not sure if i will keep him). I have one more green encrusting montipora coral. I guess I like the monties.

reef cuber
07/19/2017, 08:42 AM
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170719/adb89599d50301b48a033324a2a9fed6.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

reef cuber
07/31/2017, 10:55 AM
I added a new encrusting monti and a chalice, plus a couple small frags with zoas.

reef cuber
10/02/2017, 12:31 PM
guess I should update my picts.

Bender
10/10/2017, 05:55 PM
The tank is looking good! Are you using the stock LED biocube lighting?

reef cuber
10/19/2017, 08:42 AM
Hi Bender, Yes I'm still using the stock lights.

reef cuber
10/19/2017, 10:33 AM
I got the cyano issue cleared up for now.
Added new corals as well.:

Favia,
Plate,
Hairy Mushroom,
Sun Coral
more zoas

reef cuber
10/19/2017, 10:34 AM
I have moved a few pieces since the photo was taken, the sun is moved to the side and the brain is in the back corner on the left and I moved the plate to the front.

reef cuber
10/19/2017, 10:37 AM
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/attachment.php?attachmentid=381297&stc=1&thumb=1&d=1508430750

shaggydoo541
10/19/2017, 08:02 PM
Looks really good. Keep the updates coming