PDA

View Full Version : Dying frogspawn!!

_ld99
03/30/2017, 06:11 PM
So 3 days ago my frogspawn was looking awesome. It has 2 heads and both are about the size of a baseball hen fully open. Two mornings ago I took a look at my tank and saw the frogspawn had a little bit of skeleton showing. I thought no big deal. Well now about 1/2 the head is showing skeleton and I'm kind of freaking out!! It's been in my tank for about a month and is about halfway up with 3 black box leds for lights in my 90 gallon. The flow is medium(two hydor 1500s with 500 gph return). The one powerhead is pointed at the front glass and the frogspawn gets the flow that gets rebounded off it. My parameters are
Salinity: 1.025
Alk: 8.3
Cal:430
Mg:1220
Temp:78
So what do you guys think is going on? I really appreciate any advice. I really don't want this coral dying. This thing was fully inflated and awesome looking until about 2 days ago. The attatchment below shows what it looks like right now.

AlSimmons
03/30/2017, 07:23 PM
You might want to do a search on Brown Jelly Disease/Syndrome and see if anything looks or sounds familiar.

Maverick1
03/30/2017, 10:35 PM
Did u check other parameters? Anything picking at it

_ld99
03/31/2017, 05:30 AM
You might want to do a search on Brown Jelly Disease/Syndrome and see if anything looks or sounds familiar.

I don't see anything that looks like Brown jelly although it is loosing tissue rather quickly like it would with jelly disease.

Maverick, my ph ranges from 8.1 at night to 8.3 during the day. Nitrates are between 2-5 ppm. Phosphates 0-.03, Ammonia and nitrites are 0. I don't test for iodine or strontium. From what I can see my parameters are fine. I'm thinking some sort of infection or it doesn't like the flow it's getting although it was doing fine a few weeks ago in even stronger flow. It's going downhill pretty fast.

hartin461
03/31/2017, 06:20 AM
You have a flame angel in the tank? Picked mine to death

_ld99
03/31/2017, 08:41 AM
You have a flame angel in the tank? Picked mine to death

Nope no angel. I only have a pair of clowns but they host my powerhead on the other side of the tank so they are never even near it lol. I was about to order a red stripe angel but I'm holding off because I'm worried about it picking at corals.

_ld99
03/31/2017, 11:29 AM
Here's a picture of it now. It looks like there is a clear slime around the Skeleton on the healthier head but I cant tell if it is just part of the tissue or not.

_ld99
03/31/2017, 05:28 PM
Any other suggestions? I have a hammer and torch coral on the way so now I'm worried that they're going to contract something from the frogspawn.

Jwheld
03/31/2017, 06:30 PM
Any other suggestions? I have a hammer and torch coral on the way so now I'm worried that they're going to contract something from the frogspawn.

Are there other corals in the tank?

I know it's time to do a water change when my frogspawn doesn't fully extend, however it usually doesn't recede like that.

Maybe try 15-20% water change.

_ld99
03/31/2017, 06:39 PM
Are there other corals in the tank?

I know it's time to do a water change when my frogspawn doesn't fully extend, however it usually doesn't recede like that.

Maybe try 15-20% water change.

Thanks for the reply, I just did a 15 gallon water change 2 days ago and a 2 gallon water change yesterday with the left over water. I have about 3 gallons left so i might do another small water change tomorrow. Other corals are some mushrooms that are doing fine, a pipe organ coral that is showing new growth, candy cane coral, and an elegance coral that was doing good, then didnt open for a few days and was sliming, now it seems to be opening during the day and looks like it may be recovering but I'm not too sure haha. My clowns are fine but my porcelain crab disappeared after his molt which was about 4 days ago so I have no idea if he's alive.

_ld99
04/01/2017, 03:45 PM
Should i remove the head????????

Reef Bass
04/01/2017, 08:44 PM
What are your alk, calcium and magnesium levels? Stony corals get cranky when those are not in range.

_ld99
04/02/2017, 06:35 AM
What are your alk, calcium and magnesium levels? Stony corals get cranky when those are not in range.
All parameters are in the OP. I mentioned in a later comment that my nitrates are between 2-5 ppm and phosphates are 0- .03

Reef Bass
04/02/2017, 08:05 AM
Sorry I missed that. My b. Thanks. Mag is a bit low, but others seem in range, including nitrates and arguably phosphates.

What are those 2 doughnut looking things in the upper center of the last pic? The uppermost one seems to be sitting in a fold of the skeleton.

_ld99
04/02/2017, 09:39 AM
Sorry I missed that. My b. Thanks. Mag is a bit low, but others seem in range, including nitrates and arguably phosphates.

What are those 2 doughnut looking things in the upper center of the last pic? The uppermost one seems to be sitting in a fold of the skeleton.

Haha no worries man. Those are dead barnacles. Whenever they popped out there little feather appendage my frogspawn would recede a little in that area so I stabbed them lol. They were cool to watch but I like my coral more.