PDA

View Full Version : Sanrise 120

mindi
03/30/2017, 07:38 PM
I have ordered a Sanrise 120 really on a toss up between it and the Photon V2. I hope it lives up to the standard set by my Photon V1.

Is there a programming spreadsheet available for the Sanrise...?

Ron Reefman
03/31/2017, 05:14 AM
mindi, do those of us who bought Photon V2 fixtures a favor and post up a review of the Sanrise. I don't think I gave it enough consideration when I got my Photon V2 and I'm curious to hear what you think of it. It doesn't get much if any discussion on the RC regular threads. Thanks.

Sawdonkey
04/02/2017, 08:34 PM
Is anyone else using these? I just put two of the 90s above my 220. These things seem really well made.

The phone ap control is pretty good, and you can connect your phone two ways: either connect your phone to the wifi signal the light puts out, or connect both the light and phone to your home wifi network. Connecting to the light's wifi signal is a little annoying because before you can control the light, you have to go to your phone's settings and connect the the lights wifi. A little annoying, but double annoying if you have two or more fixtures because you have to switch wifi signals twice. However, if you set up a complex schedule one one light, you can download it to the ap and put it in the other fixture with one click.

I've been unable to connect my lights to my home network, but I figure this is a user error and I need to spend some more time playing with it. Supposedly, I'll be able to control both fixtures simultaneously once set up. If anyone has connection tips, let me know.

I'm liking the color of the light, but I feel it could use a few less whites and a few more blues. After about 30% or so, the whites really start to wash out the blue and even look a little green. The light seems to be blended better than my old LEDs and it seems to penetrate deeper into my tank.

Really looking forward to dialing these things in and seeing how my corals respond. I'm pretty impressed so far. My tank looks a little less bright, but it looks crisp. I'm adding a T5 retrofit tomorrow and I think I'll have a winning combo.

mindi
04/02/2017, 08:38 PM
Awaiting delivery of a 120. I had no way of deciding between Photon V2 and Sanrise as both looked excellent. In the end I chose the Sanrise because of Logan's video on how easy it is to unplug and replace the LEDs. As I am operating without local warranty in Australia I figured that the Sanrise was a better choice for me because of this. More when it arrives.
Thanks your post...will be in touch when I get confused by the Phone App as I certainly will.
John

mindi
04/02/2017, 10:56 PM
Sanrise 120 arrived safely today much sooner than expected. It is a serious light. Very slim, quite weighty, heavy duty transformer and extremely well packaged. Have taken a few shots of it being unboxed to show the packing.

Now to work out how to drive it on the workbench...it is BRIGHT. Agree Sawdonkey about being well made....lets hope it's performance is as good as the promise.

mindi
04/03/2017, 04:01 AM
Have done a modest spreadsheet to help me ramp my light up. I have taken the factory recommended LPS and SPS settings as my start points and created a 3rd alternative which is halfway between them for my mixed reef.
I have then calculated intermediate setting at 33%, 50%, and 75% to gradually get me there. Posting the spreadsheet in case someone wants to develop it further for their own use.

Sawdonkey
04/03/2017, 07:10 AM
Have done a modest spreadsheet to help me ramp my light up. I have taken the factory recommended LPS and SPS settings as my start points and created a 3rd alternative which is halfway between them for my mixed reef.
I have then calculated intermediate setting at 33%, 50%, and 75% to gradually get me there. Posting the spreadsheet in case someone wants to develop it further for their own use.

Were you able to connect to your home wifi network using the "STA Mode?"

mindi
04/03/2017, 09:13 AM
have not tried yet

mindi
04/04/2017, 01:58 AM
This light is very bright. It comes (well the App comes) with two pre-loaded programs...LPS and SPS.

I have been running a Photon 48 V1 for years now at about 70% max output and unable to wait for my new tank, I have put the Sanrise on the existing 4ft tank on it's legs and removed the Photon V1. I am starting on the LPS program but I will have to dial it back as subjectively it is heaps brighter than my Photon 48 V1 , obviously brighter... so I can only imagine how it is on the SPS program. My Photon V1 had probably lost a bit of punch due to age but if this light is as good as the Photon V1 I will be a happy camper....it ran non stop for 6 years without a single LED failing.

The Sanrise App is very easy to use, but it is a good thing that there is a control panel on the front of the unit if you don't have a connection. I have not tried to connect it to my LAN...will do that when I have some spare time

So far so good...

mindi
04/04/2017, 03:10 AM
Sawdonkey...Can you save a program with a name or something so you can use it again..? I am struggling a little with the App

Sawdonkey
04/04/2017, 09:07 AM
Sawdonkey...Can you save a program with a name or something so you can use it again..? I am struggling a little with the App

The light puts off its own wifi signal (when in AP Mode), so you don't necessarily need to connect it to your home network. Then you just connect your phone to the light's wifi signal. This works fine, but it's a bit of a pain because you have to switch wifi connections on your phone before you can use the app. It's even more of a pain if you have more than one of the fixtures because you have to switch wifi connections twice as each light puts out a different wifi signal. Then, you can only control one light at a time. For instance, if you wan to do a lightning storm (I know it's gimmicky) you can only do it with one fixture at a time unless you start it on one fixture, switch wifi connections, and then start it on the other.

STA mode is where you connect the light(s) to your home network and then can change settings on one or more lights without switching off of your home network wifi signal. The problem so far is that I cannot get my lights connected to my home network, so I cannot use this mode. I can live without this mode, but I bought the light at least partially for this functionality and would like to use it. So few people have this light that there just isn't much help out there. Hoping @reefbreeders chimes in to help.

Sawdonkey
04/04/2017, 09:22 AM

I don't think so? You can set up a custom program and download it to the app, but once you override it, it seems to disappear with no way to save/name it so you can easily come back to it later. I could be wrong.

@Reef_Breeders. Any help here?

dreadhead
04/04/2017, 09:37 AM
I recently purchased the Sanrise R90 and am really pleased with product. It is a complex fixture for someone newer to the hobby - so many options with the lighting schedule. That said, I am so glad I purchased this system so I can make small modifications to the lighting schedule/spectrum to best suit my tanks needs.

I like the look of the fixture above my tank. I used the mount that attaches to the end of my tank and it is very sturdy.

I too cannot for the life of me get the lights to connect to my home wifi on sta mode. Just keeps saying "waiting for connection" or something like that. I also assumed it was a user issue. I haven't had much time to play with the connection but hopefully sometime in the next few days I will. I have no issues connecting directly to the light fixture but sta mode seems more ideal.

Overall I'm pleased with the versatility and looks of this fixture particularly in comparison to the black box I've been using on a different tank.

mindi
04/04/2017, 02:35 PM
I will try to connect to my LAN today but I warn you I am rubbish at networking in general.

dreadhead
04/04/2017, 02:46 PM
It doesn't seem like it should be this complicated but I'm assuming I need to make a settings adjustment either at the router or on the lights themselves.

GQuinn
04/04/2017, 06:06 PM
How long is the R120 fixture? Just the aluminum extruded body, not including the legs that attach to the sides.

Sawdonkey
04/04/2017, 06:55 PM
How long is the R120 fixture? Just the aluminum extruded body, not including the legs that attach to the sides.

47 inches, but the cord sticks out of the end, so you need about 48 inches of space.

GQuinn
04/04/2017, 08:02 PM
47 inches, but the cord sticks out of the end, so you need about 48 inches of space.

Thanks. Is this the actual measured dimension, or the information from Reefbreeders site?

Sawdonkey
04/04/2017, 08:46 PM
Thanks. Is this the actual measured dimension, or the information from Reefbreeders site?

Well, I have the 90 and it's exactly 35 plus the cord, so I'm pretty sure the 120 is quoted the same way.

RegalAngel
04/05/2017, 07:51 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcVJDqGBbKI&feature=youtu.be

Sawdonkey
04/05/2017, 09:01 AM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bcVJDqGBbKI&feature=youtu.be

I've followed the steps in this video to a T. In the part where they go from "waiting to conn." to showing the camera IP address, my lights will not do that. There has to be some setting in my router that isn't allowing it. I spent two hours on this last night with no success.

dreadhead
04/05/2017, 12:49 PM
Same issue for me.

Sawdonkey
04/05/2017, 02:05 PM
Same issue for me.

I'm thinking this issue my be with my router firewall. I'm going to work on it tonight. I can assure you I'm not giving up on this until it's working.

dreadhead
04/05/2017, 05:11 PM
I'm thinking this issue my be with my router firewall. I'm going to work on it tonight. I can assure you I'm not giving up on this until it's working.

It's exactly what I'm thinking, I just have not had an opportunity to play with it. With company coming in for a few days it looks like I'll try to get this officially figured out next week. I'll keep informed if I can get this to connect.

mindi
04/15/2017, 04:39 AM
Mine just connected to the LAN immediately on clicking the connect button in the app..? just asked me for the router/LAN password and connected. If the re is a firewall issue I did not have it.

Having done that I am leaving it off the LAN and just connecting with phone as required because there is no way in the app of disconnecting from the LAN that I could work out, so I decided it was less suitable for me.

Sawdonkey
04/29/2017, 05:23 PM
How's everyone liking these lights? I still haven't got mine connected to my LAN but still haven't tried very hard to do it.

The only downside it that I can't use lightning/clouds on demand with my two fixtures unless I program it in.

mindi
04/29/2017, 07:04 PM
Loving it...have hung mine on clear fluorocarbon from my tackle box, can only see the splitter tube at the top of the V on each end. I am also going to move mine forward of centre a little . Heaps of light...I cant give a tech evaluation, just estabnlishing a replacement tank so everything is changed..literally...so I wont see any coral growth for a while

Sawdonkey
04/29/2017, 08:08 PM
My tank has been acting weird for months, so I'm hoping these lights help turn things around in general.

Here's my schedule. (I also run to coral + T5 bulbs between 4-9 pm)

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20170430/1ce75a42abe0f453b6fd70bbeb5d677a.png

richiero
05/02/2017, 06:52 AM
Reefbreeders contacted me the other day and said there will be an app update coming out that will allow you to control your light from remote locations. They will be testing first on their nano light.

PAXpress
05/18/2017, 02:19 PM
I've had mine for almost a year now and not sure I like my program. Downloaded the excel sheet that was posted in this thread towards the beginning. I'll try that out. How high above the water surface do you guys mount the light? My current tank is a 75g mixed reef.

mindi
05/18/2017, 06:37 PM
I dont really have a clue about my program...I have just taken their LPS program and added a bit more blue and a bit less white. Looks good to me but the corals haven't commented...so I dont have any idea what I am doing.

Ron Reefman
05/19/2017, 03:45 AM
I've had mine for almost a year now and not sure I like my program. Downloaded the excel sheet that was posted in this thread towards the beginning. I'll try that out. How high above the water surface do you guys mount the light? My current tank is a 75g mixed reef.

You aren't sure if you like the program you are using?

What about it don't you like?
You know you can change it, right?
I set my Photon V2 on the tall side of the legs that come with it, so it's between 10" and 12" off the water. What yo want to do is set the fixture at the point above the tank that you cover the entire tank (inside) with light and minimize the spill of light outside the tank. Height above the water isn't an issue to how bright things are like it was 6 or 7 years ago before led fixtures came with dimmers.

I dont really have a clue about my program...I have just taken their LPS program and added a bit more blue and a bit less white. Looks good to me but the corals haven't commented...so I dont have any idea what I am doing.

You've probably started at a good place. Especially if your corals are doing OK. Two questions, 1) Do you know the power levels of the 2 blue channels, the violet channel and the white channel? 2) How long is you light at those levels?

Do you have a link to the LPS program settings you are using?

mindi
05/19/2017, 04:55 PM
Ron....This is what I am doing in consultation with Logan...cant show you the schemes embedded in the Sanrise App without overwriting this...just download the app.?

John

Ron Reefman
05/20/2017, 05:34 AM
mindi, IMHO your lights are on at high enough levels for long enough to have good healthy coral and good growth. As long as you don't have any issues with nuisance algae, the red and the white channels are OK. Personally, I don't use the red at all and I use a little less white. But that's more about personal taste and ascetics than concern for coral. And I do run on the edge of having some algae issues.

Sawdonkey
05/20/2017, 11:31 AM
So, is anyone controlling two of these over their LAN? I still can't figure out why my lights won't connect to my LAN and I've given up. It's a real pain to make adjustments because I have to connect to each light's wifi signal, make the adjustment, and then do the same to the other fixture. I cannot get them to work together. Really annoying.

Reef_Breeders
05/23/2017, 09:34 PM
Please send me a PM or email- there is a step by step guide in the app and instructions.

One thing that tripped me up- you need to back all the way out to the main menu BEFORE you search for the lights in the app. They only sync when you are on the main screen, because the app will actually control the screen on the light, and it needs to starting point to be the same on each light in order to do so.