PDA

View Full Version : Bio Pellets on a new tank? pros&cons

frags75
03/31/2017, 06:30 AM
I am setting up a new tank and was considering using bio pellets. Can you use them right from the start? Should I wait a while to see how the tank progresses after the cycle?

TigeBell
03/31/2017, 07:44 AM
Since the bio pellets are going to take 3-6 weeks to grow the bacteria on them, setting them up from the beginning is perfectly fine IMO.

BRS also did a video of what they believe is acceptable to add while the tank is cycling. That youtube video was recent to

rvlcf
03/31/2017, 07:48 AM
Bio pellets take a while to kick in and do what they do. I would think you would want them to
run so they can get seeded with bacteria. My personal experience with bio pellets was that they stripped the nitrates too much and i was slowly starving my corals. After I took them off line my growth exploded. Just my 2 cents.

Vio
03/31/2017, 09:23 PM
i will start with 10% they suggests for your new tank, then add more after you got more Corals, fish etc, when Nitrate go up (10 ppm up) add more. Is true to much BP make Nitrate undetectable may take the PO4 complete zero.

jda
04/01/2017, 01:09 PM
You will inhibit the completion of the N cycle if you use these. Your tank needs to get to where it can not only process the Ammonia and Nitrite, but also the Nitrate. If you use the biopellets, your tank will never develop the anoxic bacteria necessary to turn the nitrate into N gas. I would not use any GFO either.

Any well-run reef tank with sand and live rock should be able to keep N very near zero on it's own. This can take up to a year and patience is needed to let the cycle complete in order to have long-term success.

Any kind of carbon source can be risky in a reef since they can outcompete and kill the coral if you let nutrients get too low. I would wait until you have a known problem without another solution before you use any kind of carbon source.

Reefer40b
04/02/2017, 02:41 AM
You will inhibit the completion of the N cycle if you use these. Your tank needs to get to where it can not only process the Ammonia and Nitrite, but also the Nitrate. If you use the biopellets, your tank will never develop the anoxic bacteria necessary to turn the nitrate into N gas. I would not use any GFO either.

Any well-run reef tank with sand and live rock should be able to keep N very near zero on it's own. This can take up to a year and patience is needed to let the cycle complete in order to have long-term success.

Any kind of carbon source can be risky in a reef since they can outcompete and kill the coral if you let nutrients get too low. I would wait until you have a known problem without another solution before you use any kind of carbon source.

+1 ^^ I wouldn't run something extra when it is not needed, if down the road you have nitrate issues then add them to the system until then i would hold off.