PDA

View Full Version : First Fish in a New Tank

MattyO
03/31/2017, 06:37 PM
Hoping I can get some advice, about to get my first fish for my new 180+90 set up. I have a 40B which is ready to be the QT.. here is my thread http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=2608061

I would like to start with a Midas Blenny and bicolor Blenny, or a pair of bangai cardinals. I have heard some concern that sometimes smaller fish or timid fish may not do well being the first introduced into a new large tank (180G). Any thoughts?

luvreefs23
04/01/2017, 08:14 PM
I would want my timid fish in 1st, you don't wanna have a bunch of large aggressive fish established and kicking butt when you dump your little guys in.

tom obrecht
04/01/2017, 08:17 PM
Maybe give us a fish want list and we can help with order to add.

dave.m
04/01/2017, 08:23 PM
Depends on the type of small fish. If you introduce something aggressive like a damsel fish it will try to own the whole tank. Most small fish will first try to establish hiding places so it shouldn't be a big deal when you add larger fish. The little guys will already know the best hiding places.

Usually you will want to add fish according to the tank's needs, e.g. if there is a lot of algae growth you will want to look to adding tangs, lawnmower blennies, etc. first. As the tank matures you will want fish that help keep the substrate clean like the diamond watchman goby, etc.

Small fish are usually more decorative and can be added later. As long is there is lots of rock and coral to provide hiding places they will be fine. Just remember that smaller fish require smaller food and need to be fed more often.

Dave.M

MattyO
04/01/2017, 08:26 PM
The system is 2 tanks plumbed together so for the 180 my list is below, I arranged them in a general stocking order.

Bangaii Cardinal Pair
Midas Blenny
Orange Spotted or BiColor Blenny
Royal Gramma
Yasha Goby Pair
Flasher Wrasse Pair
Leopard Wrasse
White Tail Bristletooth Tang
Yellow Tang or Purple Tang
Hippo Tang
Mandarin Pair

MattyO
04/01/2017, 08:49 PM
I would want my timid fish in 1st, you don't wanna have a bunch of large aggressive fish established and kicking butt when you dump your little guys in.

That's what I was thinking and how I structured my fish list

@dave.m I will be putting all fish in a QT for 6-8 weeks so if an issue like algae pops up it might be better to address that issue (phosphate remover +wc's + reduced feeding) then wait for the QT to become available then begin a QT process.

luvreefs23
04/02/2017, 03:12 PM
I quarantined as well and my first 2 fish in my 120 were my female swallow tail angel and a sunburst anthias. I've had algae and dirty sand along the way but turbos and fighting conchs have take care of that. I wouldn't want to structure my fish list on algae & instability issues but rather fix them at the source. The fish I have in qt now are a cleaner goby, purple tang, decorator goby, Wyoming white clownfish and a borbonius anthias. By the time them 5 are done in qt my tank will be pushing 5-6 months old & by adding 5 at once I'll add some confusion so the other 2 fish in the main tank can't single anyone out cause there's 5 fish.

MattyO
04/04/2017, 06:32 PM
Thanks for the help, ended up getting 3 fire fish (off list) and a Midas Blenny. All in QT at the moment and eating.