PDA

View Full Version : Are Chrysiptera taupou any more aggressive than other Chrysiptera damsels?

pfan151
03/31/2017, 08:40 PM
Wanting to get either a couple Chrysiptera taupou or a couple starki's. I think I actually like the taupo better but I am concerned about aggression. I have kept Chrysiptera parasema in the past and they were fine. Mainly harassed each other a little but not really a big deal. Are the taupou pretty similar as far as aggression goes? They will be going in a 90gal. The only small fish in the 90 are a group of threadfin cardinals.

ThRoewer
03/31/2017, 10:30 PM
I got 4 Starcki in my 100 gallon tank and they are not too bad with other fish, even smaller ones.
Based on genetic analysis the Starcki Damsel is actually not a Chrysiptera species. It's closest relative is Nexilosus latifrons. (Source: Mutualism with sea anemones triggered the adaptive radiation of clownfishes (https://bmcevolbiol.biomedcentral.com/articles/10.1186/1471-2148-12-212), Figure 2, Pomacentridae maximum credibility chronogram.)

No idea about the peacefulness of C. taupou.

Moort82
04/01/2017, 04:37 AM
My starcki was pretty well behaved. It didn't like a yellow wrasse I added but apart from that was fine and I'd liken it to a dwarf angel like coral beauty in terms of aggressiveness/pushiness. I think that if you had them in groups as ThRoewer does then they would be quiter, bickering and interacting amongst themselves more unless breeding.

I've seen plenty of taupou and they seemed far more aggressive from my casual observations. I think some of what is written about them online is meant for C cyanea which shares a similar common name (or vice versa).

Big E
04/01/2017, 05:02 AM
I had a single Chrysiptera taupou with Bartletts and Lyertail anthias in a 48" 120g and he never bothered them.

pfan151
04/01/2017, 08:30 AM
I've seen plenty of taupou and they seemed far more aggressive from my casual observations. I think some of what is written about them online is meant for C cyanea which shares a similar common name (or vice versa).

That's what I'm concerned about. From some reading online the taupou seem to be more aggressive than other Chrysiptera. My tank is pretty much fully stocked though so they would be the last additions. Not sure if that would matter long term though.

pfan151
04/01/2017, 08:34 AM
I had a single Chrysiptera taupou with Bartletts and Lyertail anthias in a 48" 120g and he never bothered them.

Thanks. I have 2 juv regal angels, a pyramid butterfly, yellow longnose butterfly, blotched anthias, and some threadfin cardinals. The only ones I'm not sure about are the cardinals.

pfan151
04/01/2017, 02:47 PM
I think I'm just going to go with a pair of azures. Cheap, easy to find small ones, nice bright blue, and not too evil.

Moort82
04/02/2017, 06:33 AM
Got two azure myself and love them. They breed from time to time but don't bother anything. I also have a group of 5 allens in another tank and they are amazing little fish as well.

saf1
04/02/2017, 09:48 AM
I'll second the Azures. They are pretty amazing and add a splash of speed and color. I started with three and it lasted a couple months. I'm guessing I had two males and a female because only the two started to fight. Now I have a mated pair.

I really like the Starcki's. ThRoewer replied to his thread that sparked my interest again. I've read nothing but good things about them since. The only drawback is that they can be a bit difficult to find and are somewhat high in price for a damsel. They are on my short list for the 240 I'm slowly working on.

ThRoewer
04/02/2017, 01:28 PM
Starcki damsels are definitely some of the more peaceful Damselfish. And the damage they could possibly do is limited by their ridiculously tiny mouths. I always find it hilarious when my Starcki male tries to intimidate my Gramma loreto male. The Gramma just needs to open his giant mouth and the Starcki gives tail...

Sent from my XT1254 using Tapatalk

Baldguy
04/07/2017, 08:36 PM
I've got 5 springeri damsels. Only had them a few weeks but from everything I had read they are supposed to be very peaceful. That's been my experience so far.