PDA

View Full Version : How accurate are the Fish Compatibility Tables

edshern
04/01/2017, 08:42 AM
I was wondering if the Compatibility Tables on websites like Live Aquaria and others are reasonably accurate.
I ask because I have a 100g well established FOWLR (+20g sump) that has a 3" clown, a 2" PJ Cardinal and a 2" Blue Tang. Planning on adding about 8 new fish, all at once that are otherwise compatible per the charts, but would also like to add a couple Dwarf Lions, which charts advise not to with the clown & Cardinal.
So, are the charts accurate?
THANK YOU
Ed

Sk8r
04/01/2017, 08:48 AM
They tend to err on the side of 'yes' when size of tank is taken into account. Small tank or overcrowding means fights even with fish that ordinarily wouldn't fight. Then there's 'predator.' I suspect shortly after adding the lions you will have only 2 fish.

edshern
04/01/2017, 08:54 AM
Cross referencing all the fish I want was time consuming.
Someone (smarter than me) really should make an app for that.
Enter the fish you want & tank size and you get a list of problems.
Maybe it's been done?

ca1ore
04/01/2017, 09:02 AM
Compatibility lists are directionally accurate. There are things they cannot take into account like individual fish temperament. That's why you always get the 'well I've done it without any problems' posts.

edshern
04/01/2017, 09:06 AM
Compatibility lists are directionally accurate. There are things they cannot take into account like individual fish temperament. That's why you always get the .

Been a reef keeper for many years and for instance have kept healthy anemones and SPS with wrong lighting (per the charts) for years. So, I actually have "done it without any problems'

I guess that's what I was thinking about, the 'I've done it without any problems' posts, and whether it's worth trying?

GimpyFin
04/01/2017, 09:11 AM
I agree with the above comments. Lists are fairly accurate, but can vary a little depending on the individual fish. Also, take particular caution if considering the lion fish as sk8r mentioned. They can/will eat anything that fits in their mouth.

Sk8r
04/01/2017, 09:13 AM
SOoooooooooo many variables. But the urge to eat your tankmates is a little more absolute than the 'fights if crowded' warnings.

edshern
04/01/2017, 09:37 AM
Wow, really difficult to plan an awesome FOWLR 100g tank.
All the cool fish fight or get to big.
All the un-cool fish are well, too normal.
Might as well have a goldfish bowl.

AHA! Maybe the solution is a tankful of Dwarf Lions! (add a couple of Foxface Lo for some color (donate him to local club when & if he gets to big)) And a few Anglers for more unusual creatures.

monkeysee1
04/01/2017, 11:32 AM
They are accurate insofar as long as you follow the "add the most passive first and the most assertive last" and "don't add the same color and/or shape of the same genera" rules. And don't forget - for most species, you should keep only ONE per tank, particularly in a tank your size.

edshern
04/01/2017, 03:54 PM
They are accurate insofar as long as you follow the "add the most passive first and the most assertive last" and "don't add the same color and/or shape of the same genera" rules. And don't forget - for most species, you should keep only ONE per tank, particularly in a tank your size.

Live Aquaria suggests I could keep multiple Lions and Multiple Foxface Lo's.

Do you disagree?

Sk8r
04/02/2017, 09:02 AM
Did they say 'and'?

edshern
04/02/2017, 09:25 AM
Did they say 'and'?

Hmm, it was my absolute impression they (but really it wasn't they, it was a she) said yes.

But I certainly could go back and ask again.

PilotMaximus
04/02/2017, 07:44 PM
Wow, really difficult to plan an awesome FOWLR 100g tank.
All the cool fish fight or get to big.
All the un-cool fish are well, too normal.
Might as well have a goldfish bowl.

AHA! Maybe the solution is a tankful of Dwarf Lions! (add a couple of Foxface Lo for some color (donate him to local club when & if he gets to big)) And a few Anglers for more unusual creatures.

That's why we make the tough decision whether or not to:
A)defy the compatibility charts
B)build multiple tanks
C)both
D) something else that's probably expensive too. Lol

ReefsandGeeks
04/03/2017, 05:33 AM
Just another consideration that the predator fish tend to be a lot "messier" than the grazers. They eat more, and with more food going into the tank, you'll need proportionally more nutrient export in the form of skimmate, cheato, GFO, GAC, water changes, filter sock changes...etc. They also tend to grow much faster as well. I added a small snowflake eel to my reef tank in Dec and he alone eats more than the all of the other 5 fish I have, most of which are about the same size (mass wise) as the eel.

edshern
04/03/2017, 07:20 AM
Just another consideration that the predator fish tend to be a lot "messier" than the grazers. They eat more, and with more food going into the tank, you'll need proportionally more nutrient export in the form of skimmate, cheato, GFO, GAC, water changes, filter sock changes...etc. They also tend to grow much faster as well. I added a small snowflake eel to my reef tank in Dec and he alone eats more than the all of the other 5 fish I have, most of which are about the same size (mass wise) as the eel.

Hello D007,
I have a basement sump running Cheato, a big Skimmer, ports for 2 separate large sponge filter (no sock though), RODI water, Semi automatic water changes.

1- What is GFO & GAC?
2- Is the Snowflake really an escape artist?
3- What else is in your tank?

How often does everyone out there feed their aggressive tanks?

THANK YOU