PDA

View Full Version : Need lighting Suggestions LED,MH, T5 Tell me why

Taino_Latino
04/01/2017, 08:36 PM
OK so I just bought a 155 bow tank I plan to set it up like my 900 in the past. It will have a mix of live rock, anemones, Fish and corals.

In the past I had 3 4 ft 400W Hamilton Tech lights with Actinic blue lights and I forget the other bulbs. The MH were 6500K and 400W

For this tank I would love to try LED's as I love the look and the power consumption now my only question is can I get that same crisp whitish blue with LED's as I had with the MH's in the past.

I saw some pretty high tech lights at a local fish shop which switch LED from sunlight to different lights settings and percentage. Then I saw other lights that were Sewel or sewzer cant remember the name to save my life.

SO I'm curious what you guys/gals think.

Thanks In Advance
My old User name was Caribbean Reef Man. I wish I could get that username back but have been unsuccesful.

Thanks
Miko

Ron Reefman
04/02/2017, 04:55 AM
I'll offer up what you need to consider if you want to buy an led system. MH & t5 systems work just as well, maybe even a bit better for growing coral, but they have drawbacks like heat, bulb replacement, lack of easy color control, use a bit more electricity and lack of sunrise/sunset control (except for one t5 fixture which is pretty expensive. I live in Florida and don't need more heat in the house, I hate the hassle and cost of buying new bulbs (I have 4 tanks and 2 refugiums) and I really like being able to have all kinds of color control at my finger tips (a remote) rather than having to change bulbs (t5 and MH). But that's just me, you may not feel the same way.

There are several questions regarding led fixtures that you need to answer, then you can get some real help.

The first point about led fixtures is: beware of fixtures that use less than 3 watt leds. There are a few brands out there that use 0.5 watt leds and they are OK for 12” deep tanks and maybe even 18” deep tanks with easy, low light corals.

Questions:

1) Do you want 1 or 2 long fixtures (up to 48”) or are more shorter fixtures (16") or multiple pendant fixtures OK with you?

2) Do you want hanging fixtures or do you want fixtures with legs? And do you have a canopy over the tank?

3) Do you have a budget in mind?

4) There are basic Chinese black box led fixtures (2 channel color control and manual dimmers) which need timers from the hardware store ($10 each) to turn them on/off. Chinese black boxes work very well, grow coral very well and come in several sizes. MarsAqua, GalaxyHydro, Euphotica, and more. ($100ea. to $200ea.)

5) There are a few that have built-in timers to turn the 2 different channels (white & blue) on and off. They also offer digital dimmer ability (not sunrise/sunset control, just like dimmer knobs only digital) Ocean Revive, Reef Breeders, ViparSpecta. ($140ea. to $200ea.)

6) Do you want sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight control? These come in several sizes. At this level you can still get a less expensive black box or spend a bit more and get a better looking fixture (just remember, good looks don’t help coral grow). Euphotica. ($250 to $400)

7) Do you want more than 2 channel color control (like 6 or 8 channels)? These have sunrise/sunset ability as well. Reef Breeders, Aqua Illumination, Maxspect, Eco Tech. ($300 to $900+)

8) Is a remote control good enough to set the lights or do you want WiFi or a computer to help set the lights?

9) Do you want an led/t5 fluorescent hybrid fixture? They work very well for growing coral but there are very few currently being made and they are crazy expensive. Pacific Sun is the only one I know.

If you are just getting started, I'd go basic Chinese black box and keep it simple. Especially if you are using a canopy so what the fixture looks like is far less important than if it is exposed over the top of a pretty reef tank for everybody to see. They can grow any kind of coral in your tank, even at 30" deep. Once you know better what you are going to keep and you figure out what features you really want, then buy what you want and sell the used ones (or hang on to them as backups).

BTW, none of the features discussed above grow coral any better than the inexpensive Chinese black boxes with 3 watt leds (98% true IMHO). They give you the ability to make the tank look better (for your pleasure), but do very, VERY little if anything for the coral.

I like the control of sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight because I'm home a lot and I like to watch the tank change as the day progresses. And I like having 6 channels of color control so I can fine tune the look in my tank. A simple remote is all I need to set my lights, I don't care about WiFi or computer help setting them. I also have a fairly good budget so I could afford $900 for 2 fixtures ($600 for the big one and $300 for the small one... when they were on sale).

Did I need these to grow healthy coral? Heck no. I used Chinese black boxes over my previous tanks that cost way less and they grew coral just as good as my new, more expensive ones. And mine are FAR from the most expensive. I’d need at least 2 and more likely 3 Eco Tech Radions at $900 each (that's right... $2700 total) and they won't grow coral any better either!

And there is no best fixture. People who tell you their's is the best are really telling you their's is the best for them. But it could be way off the mark for you.

You need to buy what is best for you.

greaps
04/02/2017, 06:11 AM
Bulk Reef Supply on youtube has an extremely informative 3 part presentation on reef lighting, T5 > MH > Led in terms of even par spread and plug and play spectrum. But hybrid option is their favorite.

Even knowing this I am using a generic amazon led with three channels, moon light, white spectrums, and blue with a growing montipora and happy soft corals, been on my tank about 9 months with no problems.

Taino_Latino
04/02/2017, 09:41 AM
Hey Thanks a lot Ron that helped a lot. As far as just beginning no I was in this hobby for 20+ years then took a break just all the new lighting that I saw popping up was a bit overwhelming. I used to have 3 4ft Hamilton tech lights for my bigger tank and yeah I think at the time they were like $800-1000 each so I know how quickly expensive it gets. I just saw some pretty good looking units at the Local pet shop and like the look of them. I like everything to be pleasing to the eye so thats the other reason I was asking. some of the hanging pendants I saw was just beautiful.

Looks like i'll be going T5 and led now just need to see how to go about it.

Thanks again, if anyone has any other suggestions please feel free.

hoover86
05/08/2017, 09:00 AM
I'll offer up what you need to consider if you want to buy an led system. MH & t5 systems work just as well, maybe even a bit better for growing coral, but they have drawbacks like heat, bulb replacement, lack of easy color control, use a bit more electricity and lack of sunrise/sunset control (except for one t5 fixture which is pretty expensive. I live in Florida and don't need more heat in the house, I hate the hassle and cost of buying new bulbs (I have 4 tanks and 2 refugiums) and I really like being able to have all kinds of color control at my finger tips (a remote) rather than having to change bulbs (t5 and MH). But that's just me, you may not feel the same way.

There are several questions regarding led fixtures that you need to answer, then you can get some real help.

The first point about led fixtures is: beware of fixtures that use less than 3 watt leds. There are a few brands out there that use 0.5 watt leds and they are OK for 12” deep tanks and maybe even 18” deep tanks with easy, low light corals.

Questions:

1) Do you want 1 or 2 long fixtures (up to 48”) or are more shorter fixtures (16") or multiple pendant fixtures OK with you?

2) Do you want hanging fixtures or do you want fixtures with legs? And do you have a canopy over the tank?

3) Do you have a budget in mind?

4) There are basic Chinese black box led fixtures (2 channel color control and manual dimmers) which need timers from the hardware store ($10 each) to turn them on/off. Chinese black boxes work very well, grow coral very well and come in several sizes. MarsAqua, GalaxyHydro, Euphotica, and more. ($100ea. to $200ea.)

5) There are a few that have built-in timers to turn the 2 different channels (white & blue) on and off. They also offer digital dimmer ability (not sunrise/sunset control, just like dimmer knobs only digital) Ocean Revive, Reef Breeders, ViparSpecta. ($140ea. to $200ea.)

6) Do you want sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight control? These come in several sizes. At this level you can still get a less expensive black box or spend a bit more and get a better looking fixture (just remember, good looks don’t help coral grow). Euphotica. ($250 to $400)

7) Do you want more than 2 channel color control (like 6 or 8 channels)? These have sunrise/sunset ability as well. Reef Breeders, Aqua Illumination, Maxspect, Eco Tech. ($300 to $900+)

8) Is a remote control good enough to set the lights or do you want WiFi or a computer to help set the lights?

9) Do you want an led/t5 fluorescent hybrid fixture? They work very well for growing coral but there are very few currently being made and they are crazy expensive. Pacific Sun is the only one I know.

If you are just getting started, I'd go basic Chinese black box and keep it simple. Especially if you are using a canopy so what the fixture looks like is far less important than if it is exposed over the top of a pretty reef tank for everybody to see. They can grow any kind of coral in your tank, even at 30" deep. Once you know better what you are going to keep and you figure out what features you really want, then buy what you want and sell the used ones (or hang on to them as backups).

BTW, none of the features discussed above grow coral any better than the inexpensive Chinese black boxes with 3 watt leds (98% true IMHO). They give you the ability to make the tank look better (for your pleasure), but do very, VERY little if anything for the coral.

I like the control of sunrise/midday/sunset/moonlight because I'm home a lot and I like to watch the tank change as the day progresses. And I like having 6 channels of color control so I can fine tune the look in my tank. A simple remote is all I need to set my lights, I don't care about WiFi or computer help setting them. I also have a fairly good budget so I could afford $900 for 2 fixtures ($600 for the big one and $300 for the small one... when they were on sale).

Did I need these to grow healthy coral? Heck no. I used Chinese black boxes over my previous tanks that cost way less and they grew coral just as good as my new, more expensive ones. And mine are FAR from the most expensive. I’d need at least 2 and more likely 3 Eco Tech Radions at $900 each (that's right... $2700 total) and they won't grow coral any better either!

And there is no best fixture. People who tell you their's is the best are really telling you their's is the best for them. But it could be way off the mark for you.

You need to buy what is best for you.

Ron I've been researching things for what lights to get as well so I've been reading many threads and found this quote from you a few months ago on another thread in regards to a black box light on Amazon (https://www.amazon.com/Roleadro-Aquarium-Newest-Lighting-Spectrum/dp/B06XKBX7F1/ref=sr_1_2?s=pet-supplies&ie=UTF8&qid=1494254706&sr=1-2-spons&keywords=reef+led&psc=1) -

"I'd consider the t5's as your coral growing light. So get as many bulbs as you need (4 or 5 at least). Consider the leds as extra color. However, they are 3 watt leds and I didn't see that there is any kind of dimmer for the fixture. Therefore I wouldn't want them. If you get them, be very careful with them."

This led me to believe you didn't have a good view on them personally but then I see this thread which is more recent and you seem to feel they are just as good as a high end light just not as polished and fancy. Why the change of heart so soon?