PDA

View Full Version : Maintaining nutrition in Seahorse

georgeclowney
04/02/2017, 02:58 AM
Hi, I volunteer at a "not for profit" marine education facility here in Western Australia.

We have some Seahorse on display which we have had for some time now. We were feeding them commerical brine shrimp, but have now moved on to wild caught Mysis shrimp enriched with cod liver oil and calcium.

Unfortunately, several of our Seahorse continue to develop a weak "snick" and are unable to ingest the Mysis shrimp.

Can anyone suggest how Seahorse may be kept such that weak snick does not affect them longterm?

Any advice would be gratefully received,

King Regards,

George.

Dan_P
04/02/2017, 04:17 PM
I had the same thing happen to my pipefish caught in Long Island Sound. They quickly adapted to eating frozen mysis shrimp, but after about a year could no longer "suction" up the food. This doesn't help you but wanted to acknowledge that I observed the same thing but did not know what the problem was to Google possible solutions. I presume you thoroughly searched the internet.

bblumberg
05/01/2017, 02:48 PM
I have no personal experience, but this looks like good information:
http://seahorse.com/forum/weak-snick-help

Southpaw007
05/03/2017, 12:42 PM
Have you tried selcon or other additives. I have heard of getting a very high quality pellets and it worked. you could also try putting it in the mysis if they are not to small.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G891A using Tapatalk