PDA

View Full Version : Leveling mat

CrayolaViolence
04/02/2017, 04:24 AM
I have just set up a new tank (still empty) only to discover, upon sitting down to rest my laurels, there is a tiny gap between the bottom rim and the stand on two opposing diagonal corners of the stand. The gap is probably a millimeter, at the most, and equal at the two corners.
This is a rimmed tank, so the bottom glass is raised off the surface of the stand except for the very edge. My questions is this, can I use a leveling mat? I don't want to pop the seem on the bottom of the tank of course, but the gap is SUPER tiny. However it is enough to see and to worry me. I was wondering if a thin mat, too thin to push against the glass but enough to hold the rim, would work.
My other option, I was thinking was to put down a piece of foam board on the top of the tank, then lay down a piece of plywood on top of the foam board. This would act like a solid bottom for the tank, and the foam would (should) level it out.

I really don't have an option to build a new stand since I don't have a level place to build it. This stand was already done, I just had to increase the size of the top. Unfortunately I didn't realize the slightly off square proportions of the original stand top have created a slight bow in the top piece. It wasn't perceptible to the level I used. But it's definitely noticeable when you're eye level with the top and have good light.

Any suggestions welcome.

carrots
04/02/2017, 05:55 AM
Homasote board is what I have used without any problem. It is harder than foam but can still be compressed slightly where it needs to be. Only problem is it is made from wood fiber so should be sealed before the tank is placed on top of it.

CrayolaViolence
04/02/2017, 07:07 AM
You've used this on a rimmed tank? It would seem like I'd want something that would compress easier in order to take up the difference. The problem is a rise in the middle of the stand that's lifting the two corners diagonal from one another.

CrayolaViolence
04/02/2017, 01:04 PM
No ideas? what does everyone do if a top on a stand isn't perfectly flat?