PDA

View Full Version : Glass-holes 700gph gurgling noise

Aquageek450
04/03/2017, 10:25 PM
I have had a glass holes 700gph overflow box on my tank for a couple years and have never been able to get the waterfall/ gurgling noise to quiet down. The box itself is quiet but the water in the pipe gurgles and I can hear the water splashing into the sump. The pipe going into the sump is submerged under the water level, could this be causing the gurgling noise? Also people say to adjust the airline on the top of the elbow by the box provided in the kit. When I do this I hear no difference in noise. The return pump is a sicce 2.0 and it is dialed down some but not much. Maybe too much flow? I don't think I'm anywhere near the max of the box. Anyone have this overflow and figure out how to make it quiet? Thanks

mcgyvr
04/04/2017, 05:31 AM
Too much flow is usually the cause of gurgling in overflows..
Dial down the flow or redirect some right back into the sump (via T on the return output) and you should see it quiet down..

billdogg
04/04/2017, 06:19 AM
If you put a pvc T fitting on the end of the drain so that the "leg" of the T is above the waterline in the sump the air inside will escape and it will quiet down considerably.

jacksonpt
04/04/2017, 09:17 AM
IME, glass holes boxes are great for ease/convenience, not great at noise/performance.

There are things you can do that may or may not help, but there's only so much you can do. I put some eggcrate across the top of the overflow box and that help a bit as water flowed into the box... but noise from water splashing as it drains into my sump continues to be a problem.

Pond Boy
04/04/2017, 09:22 AM
Decreasing flow and the T suggestion should quit things down...

Pond Boy
04/04/2017, 09:22 AM
*Quiet* lol