PDA

View Full Version : Cardinal fry 'bouncing' up and down

Madsie
04/04/2017, 02:59 AM
Hi guys. I have 23 cardinal fry. They are now 2 months old. My worry is a few babies are swimming or actually kind of bouncing up and down the whole time. It seems to by really tiring them as every now and again one goes and lies down on the bottom to 'rest' and then continues again. What is causing this? The others are swimming normally. I have them in a 30 liter tank, bare bottom with two sponge filters on either side of the tank. I also add 'alpha' everyday which helps with detoxifying the nitrates and amonia from the bbs. Any help please would be appreciated greatly:wave:

Bongo Shrimp
04/04/2017, 12:46 PM
Sounds like a swim bladder development issue which isn't that unusual with cardinal fry. You'll likely want to cull them as it isn't a treatable condition.

JonezNReef
04/17/2017, 06:59 AM
I read this on another form
"Feed at least 3 times daily, better being 5. Newly hatched BBS is best. After about 4 hrs BBS have lost most of their yolk sacs (main nutrition) and will have to be enriched. I use selcon, and spirulina zoe to enrich. This is MANDATORY or you will end up with babies that have SUDDEN FRIGHT SYNDROME (SFS). This is when babies aren't fed enough fatty acids (selcon/zoe) and they suffer from SFS which is usually fatal. What it does is causes the babies to use essential fatty acids that are used for nerve building/function just to sustain life and they suffer from nerve damage. Basically any large stimulus (feeding, lights going on, a net) causes them to literally short circuit. "

Read it here:
http://www.reefcentral.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1990387

Madsie
04/18/2017, 12:48 AM
Thanx but yes I'm fully aware of this. I do enrich the bbs specifically for this syndrome yes. I also feed them small amounts regularly per day. Could be this swim bladder disease I presume.

JonezNReef
04/18/2017, 02:09 PM
I thought swim bladder disease was more of when the fish flips over completely, floats at the top of the water line, or swimming at weird angels because they cant control there buoyancy.
If it is swim bladder disease, from what Ive seen theres not to much that can be done unless you can pin point the cause.